Should Students Be Allowed to Grade Teachers?

There is a debate on if students should be allowed to grade teachers. For years, teachers have graded their students’ tests, homework, and extra credit assignments. Now, there is a change in this system.

There are now websites that allow students to rate their teachers. In high school, there is a website called ratemyteacher.com. This allows high schoolers to give their teacher a review, and then from there you go through a multiple-choice section and then it gets added to other peoples ratings. In the beginning, students were allowed to comment on the teacher. However because the comments were anonymous, there were many hurtful things said and biased opinions stated because of the grades the students got and because they could do that. However, they changed that so that you can only answer the questions they asked. In HCHS is on ratemyteacher.com. 

In college, there is a website called ratemyprofessor.com and it allows college students to, well, rate their professors. When they rate them, they can comment, however there are guidelines, and monitors are constantly checking to make sure each comment is not biased and follows guidelines. And that is not all. In ratemyprofessor.com you can also rate the college you are at. 

I personally think that students should be able to rate teachers. I say this because to me, it is kinda like giving them a report card : Here is what you did well on, and here is what you can improve on. I also think that once you get into college and you can choose the classes and teachers that you are going to take, seeing reviews can help you make those decisions. In high school, you can’t really choose the teacher, but it is helpful for the teachers when they are teaching the class.

Questions

Do you think we should be able to grade teachers?

Could there be any bias with rating/grading teachers?

Sources

https://ratemyteachers.com

https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/

https://bfamercury.org/5364/opinion/should-students-be-able-to-grade-their-teachers/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I feel like we should be able to give feedback to teachers. There are a lot of teachers that need to get graded. I think we should be able to send it to the administration or the principal. 

• I agree, but my only concern is : if we send it to the administation and/or principal, what would they do about it? Would they fire the teacher? IF they do how hard will it be to find a new replacemnt? If they don't fire the teacher how will they improve their teaching skills? Will the teachers really listen to the administation? I like where you are coming from and I agree with your thoughts. 

• Yeah, I think we should be able to grade teachers. I feel like some teachers could benifit from hearing how they could improve in the classroom or how they could teach better. Having a a bad teacher who doesnt know how to teach Vs a good teracher that can teach well can really help and impact a kids life. Also help them for the future.

• Exactly, I agree, lots of teachers everywhere could benifit.

• I agree that we should be able to grade teachers, I honsetly think teachers couldd use the feed back to improve there class room. I think if teachers hear or read this feed back they can improve there students school work in a way. Athough i do think there would be alot of negativity just because kids sometimes tend to be over dramatic because they got a bad grade or ex. 

• Yes, high schoolers can over exaggerate their grades and exams, the teachers can take the feedback if they want to. If they think that the feedback is useless, then they can choose not to take it. 

• I believe that we should be able to grade or rate teachers if the answers are unbiased. I believe that it could be very helpful for the teacher to know what they could improve on, but I also think that it could be seen as insulting or demotivating to the teachers, who don't even get paid enough. Students could also easily warn other students of if the teacher is bad or has things to look out for. Bias in the students could negatively affect teachers, and could unwarrentedly create hate for a teacher who didn't deserve it.

• Yes, you make good points! I agree with what you say. All reviews are aynonomus and the sites chech to make sure there is no bias in the comments. The website thouroghly goes over the comments and deletes any that include biased, discriminatory, doragatory comments, as well as any comments with profanity. 

• I do think we should be able to grade teachers. If we wanted to make it intresting then their pay should be based off of how they are graded. I don't think that it should be that way but it might make the teachers work harder for that money and they would teach better. 

• That is an interesting idea that you brought out, although I don't think it will work perfectly, or work very well, I think that you could find a way to have their paycheck be influenced a little bit by the way the students repond to the class. I like all of you points. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker