Hurricane Disaster Relief

Hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes could happen at any moment and the trail they leave behind them is horrendous. Each disaster has disaster relief to follow the aftermath. One of the most recent disasters was hurricane Ian. For those who don’t know, hurricanes are violent wind storms that form in warm waters with winds of 74 miles per hour or faster. These happen on the coasts of the U.S. 

Hurricanes tend to cause flooding, power outages, rip currents, and so much more. Death is a big thing that comes with hurricanes. Hurricane Ian is considered the most deadly hurricane in Florida since 1935 with over 100 deaths. This may not be as many deaths as other hurricanes, it is still a big deal. Hurricanes cause houses to flood, trees to fall, family’s to be separated during evacuation, power outages across thousands of homes and so much more. After the storm is over and they are able to start disaster relief they are able to determine who is dead or missing. 

The amount of Disaster relief a state or region receives depends on the amount of damage. Fundraisers started by big companies such as the Red Cross to help cover the costs of supply’s. The Red Cross sends volunteers to the affected states/counties and provides food, water and shelter to those who have lost their homes or towns in the storm. The government provides financial help to those who have lost their businesses /houses in the storm with little to no issuance. The government responds to any of the states calls for help through the Federal Emergency Management Agency. In the states that could be affected by hurricanes there are public shelters where people can go to stay safe during the storm. The only issue with these shelters is that they don’t always accept pets resulting in people ethier abandoning their pets or going back into the storm with their pets. Thes shelters can only hold so many people so some do have to be turned away because of the space limitation. Lots of civilians help. There are many videos and pictures of brave people going out and rescuing abandoned pets chained to their houses and people stuck inside only to be accessed by boat due to flooding which can reach up to 20 feet above normal water levels. In some cases people have to be medivaced to better hospitals or hospitals that have not been damaged. Sometimes people get airlifted simply because they can not be reached any other way. In the end there are a lot of different ways hurricanes can be dealt with.

I have lived through a few hurricanes myself and we only evaluated once due to a power outage. While I think there could always be more ways to help those affected by hurricanes, the system in place right now works for the time being.

If you were in a hurricane what would you do to prepare?

Would you evacuate your home or stay put until told otherwise?

https://www.redcross.org/about-us/our-work/disaster-relief.html#:~:text=After%20a%20disaster%2C%20the%20Red,response%20vehicles%20in%20affected%20neighborhoods.&text=Emergency%20supplies%20help%20people%20in,days%20and%20weeks%20that%20follow

https://www.doi.gov/recovery#:~:text=When%20a%20disaster%20is%20declared,under%20the%20National%20Response%20Framework.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great job Caitlin!

• If a hurricane was to hit land, I would prepare some meals/snacks and get them in zip lock bags or some sort of bag that'll keep water from getting into them and then fill a backpack with all the snacks. Then another backpack with nessesities such as toothbrush, flashlight, and some extra clothes. I wouldn't evacuate until it is mandatory. If my house was to get destroyed, I would want to be in it with it

• It would depend on how strong the hurricane is and where exactly or approximately it will hit. If the eye of the hurricane will hit around my area and its really strong I would evacuate. Otherwise I wouldn't evacuate. I think it would be fun to go through and experience a hurricane.

• I agree that you should evacuate if the storm is heading toward you but hurricanes are not an experience you want to have especially when it goes right through your town.

• Me personally I would evacuate and get everything important out of the place im at. Hurricanes are one of the worst disasters. I watched Danny Duncan give as much stuff as he can to help the people without anything. I would evacuate right away and help my family to.

• If I was in a hurricane I would make sure I have everything that I need before the hurricane. I would stay put until I was told overwise because if I just left and there was no tornado then I would have to go back my house but I would stay put unless I was told otherwise.

• I don't think I would be prepared to have a hurricane but if there was one happening here, I would try to be as much prepared as I could. I would actually stay home until they tell me. Hurricanes normally come with rain and I wouldn't like to be outside of my house waiting and getting wet and cold if it is not necessary.

• When evacuating for hurricanes States that are prone to have hurricanes have shelter specifically for hurricanes so you would not be waiting outside.

• I think I would evacuate just because it is the safest option. But if I wasn't able to evacuate, I would prepare with all the essentials. I would get lots of food and water, and make sure everything that could get lost from outside is inside.

• I agree that it's a smart idea to put things that could get picked up in the storm inside.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker