How much daylight do you prefer?

In places like Alaska it is bright out usually all day during the summer. And in the Winter it is dark most of the time. A lot of people who live there say they don’t mind it in the summer because the days are so long. But in the winter it can get annoying to having your world always be dark.  I have even seen a couple videos where people will be leaving a resturant or something at 11 or 12 pm and it is completely bright outside where they are. 

To cope with having it bright most of the day, people will have to buy blackout curtains. Although on warm days, you need to keep windows open and fans running to cool the house at night – which means no curtains. They also said taking vitamin D is highly important in the winter because the human body produces less of it when it’s not exposed to enough sunlight. This is especially true in northern areas of Alaska, where civil twilight is the lightest it gets for some 60 days since the sun doesn’t rise above the horizon from mid- to late November until late January.

They say that it’s mostly dark from about mid-november to mid-january. Which basically means that once the sun sets in November, residents won't see daylight for two months. I personally don’t know if I could handle having it dark all of the time or bright. I like when you leave somewhere and it’s dark so you know to go home. Or if you wake up and it is still dark outside you know you woke up too early. There are many reasons why I like living where we do when the light is normally the same. But if I had to choose one I think I would like it to be bright all of the time. 

Would you rather have it bright out all of the time or dark? Why?

Or do you just like the way it is where we live? Explain.

Source 1

Source 2

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Sunlight is more beneficial for the human body, but I'd prefer days to be darker. I don't like the sun, it's hot and bright, when the moon's out, outside it is cool/colder and darker, I prefer that. However, the need to take vitamin D supplements would become tedious.

• I prefer to have as much daylight as we do in the summer. I feel like that is a good amount of time. I wouldn't want it to be too much daylight because all of the days would run together. I like that it gets dark at night. I feel like it gives us a break to get ready for the next day.

• I think personally, if I had to choose, I would pick being light all the time, just because humans can see better during the day.  I like the days how they are now, because you are awake during the day and sleep while it's dark. If it was only dark, we woud need more electricity.

• I would rather have it bright because humans have adapted to see better in light than in the dark. Or at least we do not see well in the dark without light. I like how it is dark at night and light in the day for us because it helps us sleep and wake up when we need to.

• Yeah, it helps our sleep schedule more. 

• I would rather have it be bright out all the time becuase during the jazz season I dont get the see the sun any and it affects my mental state so I already know that I could not deal with that. I dislike not seeing the sun during the jazz season so I think I would like somewhere that has more hours of sun more than I like it here.

• Yeah, I'm guessing people in activities like jazz that get out late, would like it to be bright out more. 

• I would rather have it dark all the time because when I'm trying to sleep that just feels wrong if it's light out. I like how the stars look so I wouldn't mind. I do like the sun and being tan but for 2 months I can deal with it.

• I would rather have it bright out all the time. I can not stand when it is dark and I can not see. I also don't like when I'm driving into people's headlights, it messes with my head. If I could choose to have it the way we do now, I would keep it. I like sleeping in the dark.

• I would rather it be light from like 7-9ish just becuase in the summer there are lots of things to do and you can get more things done. i like it when it gets dark earlier in winter tho. i think its fine how it is but if we could change i would have it be a little lighter out longer

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker