How many marriages in the united states end in divorce?

According to the APA (American Psychological Association), about 40-50% of first marriages end in divorce. The rate of divorce in a second marriage is even higher, at about 60-67%. Almost 827,261 out of 2,245,404 marriages ended in divorce in 2019.

Most divorces happen among adults between the ages of 25-39, and most of these divorces happen within the first 5 years of marriage. Some of the most common reasons for divorce are communication issues, infertility, financial problems, and more. 

In 2019 the rate of divorce hit an all-time low in 50 years. For every 1,000 only 7.6 resulted in divorce. Between the ages of 25-39, the rate of divorce dropped from 30 per 1,000 to 24 per 1,000. 

Covid had a fairly large impact on the divorce rate in the united states. There was a large survey done around U.S. saying that 42% of married adults said that the pandemic strengthed their relationship, and 12% said that it made them question their relationship. 

Are your parents divorced? 

How did covid affect relationships in your life?

If your parents are divorced how has it affected you?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Glad you got this posted! It is quite late and you didn't reply to any student comments. Good topic choice!!

• My parents are divorced and were divorced before covid but I don't think that covid would have affected them. I get that covid has hurt some relationships but I don't think is why more and more people get divorced these days. 

• My parents are currently still married as of now, and I don't think that covid has really affected any relationships with family members or friends in my opinion. Since my parents' arent divorced I don't know how it would affect their kids, but I feel like it would have a positive or negative impact depending on their experience. 

• My parents were never married, but they have been split apart since I was really young. In my personal opinion, I like having parents that aren't together because I can get a break from one or the other. I hated covid because I was stuck inside with my parents so I feel like our relationship got worse because we would fight a lot. All in all divorce can be a good or bad thing, depending on your personal experience.

• My parents are sill married, covid could affect relationships by keeping people away from each other in person because they don't want to get sick. Even though my parents arent divorced, I know that it is hard on people because I've had friends go through it.

• I am very thankful that my parents are still together but personally I believe that covid has strentghen the bond of many relationships becasue of them having to stay inside or having to be in a relationship that is long distance and i also think that covid could strengthen it but also break it up.

• I am thankful that my parents are not divorced. Personally, I think I became closer with my family during the COVID-19 pandemic. Although, I could see how COVID-19 and going through a pandemic together could put strain on a relationship.  

• My parents are not divorced thankfully, but is seems like there are many people in todays society that are. Covid probably strengthend relationships of everyone in my house. I don't think that it is biblically correct for people to get divorced. You need to think about the future with that person before you marry them, so then it doesn't end in a divorce.

• My parents are not divorced, and I hope that it continues to stay that way. I enjoy having both of my parents together. Covid definitely wasn't good for my generation because it cut social connections. I don't think that it affected my relationships very poorly. However, it hindered my social abilities. 

• My biological parents are divorced. Now I have a step-dad who is still with my mom. I biological dad has also remarried and has a wife. Having divorced parents can be really tough. COVID did not really make an impact for me at all.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker