How long should the passing periods be?

Over the years during Harlan Community High School's time, the passing period lengths have changed multiple times. Being 3, 4 and 5 minutes at different times. During Mr. Brun’s first couple of years at Harlan the passing period was 3 minutes long. The school then had a testing period where they had either 3 minute long passing periods with 2, 15 minute breaks throughout the day. Or they could have 5 minute passing periods with no breaks. The teachers and students voted on the 5 minute passing periods. It then got changed to 4 minutes. And then finally it has been 3 minutes for the past two years.

Some pros of longer passing periods would be people could finally have enough time to go to the bathroom and fill up water bottles. If a student ever needed help on homework, instead of staying after class to talk with a teacher. Which would result in students being tardy to their next class. They could talk to a teacher before class because of the extra minutes. The halls would also be less crowded as students would leave classes at different times. But some pros of shorter passing periods is we get out earlier. During the time when the school had 5 minute passing periods the school day was from 8:15 to 3:30.

Now some cons of both; longer passing periods result in longer days. Students also have more time to mess around and get in trouble with teachers. Some cons for shorter passing periods are students have no time to go to the bathrooms and fill up their water bottles. Also having classes on opposite sides of the school is a struggle. It’s hard to get to the next class in just 3 minutes, and students are counted tardy if they're late.

If you could choose how long the passing periods were, how long would you say(1-10 minutes)?

Would you have longer passing periods but a longer day or a shorter day with shorter passing periods?

Do you agree or disagree with the time the passing periods are currently?

Mr. Bruns

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• That is my opinion as well. 4 minutes is in between 5 and 3 minutes. One doesn't give you enough time to go places, and the other could potentially be too much time for the kids that would abuse that extra minute. Therefore, I think we should change the time to 4 instead of 3 minutes.

• If I could choose how long the passing periods would be, I would choose 4 minutes. I think that the current three minutes is not enough time if you have to use the bathroom or walk across the school, but I think that five minutes is too much time and would cause too many problems.

• I agree with you, 4 minutes is what I would choose as well. This not only gives us enough time to walk across the school but also be able to use the bathroom and talk to a teacher if we need to ask questions on homework or a test that we're about to take.

• Firstly, I would probably have the passing period be 4 minutes, so if a student had to walk all the way across the highschool, they wouldn't have to worry about being late. I would rather have a shorter day with shorter passing periods becase if you get out of school earlier thats that much more time to get your homework done or get ready for sports. I agree with the current passing periods because they give me enough time to get to my class but still aren't so long people don't get in trouble as much.

• I think that makes sense, by getting out of school earlier we can have more time for sports and working on homework. I think the only problem would be with getting help if you're an athlete. They have to go to practice after school. But having that extra minute in between classes could give them the time to talk with their teacher about the problems that they are having.

• I argee that 5 min passing periods could be to long and cause for students to get introuble a lot more and have more time to mess around but I also feel it is important to have time to do the nessassary things that everyone has to do. So I would say having a 4 min passing period would be a better comprimize for it is a little longer than we have not a little shorter than the old one.

• I think that a comprimize is the best word to describe having a 4 minute long passing period. It gives us enough time to do things in between classes, but doesn't give enough time to the people that will abuse the passing period time being longer.

• I think passing periods should be at least 5 minutes becuase we dont have enough time to go upstairs or downstairs or across the school then go to the bathroom and they are always so packed so they need to be lonver 

• The hallways are always packed walking from class to class. And getting from one side of the school to the other, or going from downstairs to upstairs can be difficult at the different paces of people walking to and from their classes.

• I think that passing periods should be around 5 minutes long. I would rather have longer days honestly I don't really mind school.  It is also something good to keep you busy. the passing periods are mostly fine but I do wish they were longer then we wouldn't feel as rushed and there wouldn't be as many people late.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker