How long should lunch be?

Lunch at our school is 30 minutes. During this time students need to get to the cafeteria, stand in the lunch line, eat their food, and put their trays back. So should lunch be shorter or longer? There are pros and cons to both sides. 

The CDC recommends that students should get at least 20 minutes of time to eat their lunches. This does not include the amount of time it takes for students to stand in the lunch line and get their food. However, many times once students are seated they only have 15 minutes or less to finish their lunch. Nutrition experts say that 15 minutes or less is not enough time for kids  to properly eat and digest their food. It is also better for students mental health if they have time to socialize during lunch. 

However, if lunch was longer, the school day might also be longer. This would leave students with less time for after school activities, and can also make students more tired from a longer day of school. If lunch was longer and the school decided to keep the school day the same, then lunch would take away class time. Then the teachers would have to fit their lesson plans into shorter classes, and students would have less time to learn the material and ask questions about it. 

In my opinion, I think they should just keep lunch period at 30 minutes. I feel like I have enough time to eat lunch, and I don’t think it's worth making the school day longer or taking away from class time. 

Do you think lunch should be longer or shorter?

If so, how long do you think lunch should be? 

Sources: 

https://www.publicschoolreview.com/blog/longer-lunches-smarter-students-the-controversy-of-10-minute-or-1-hour-lunch-periods 

https://www.livestrong.com/article/525829-pros-cons-of-longer-school-lunches/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• In my opinion, I think the lunch period is long enough. I can get my food, talk to my friends, eat, and dump my tray all before the lunch period is over. I believe having a 30-minute lunch is long enough. 

• I agree, I feel like we have enough time for lunch

• I think lunch should be longer because we need more time to soaicalize and talk with our friends. Not all of us live in town or have time to hangout after school. So i think we should have as much time as possible to talk with friends at lunch. I think it should at least be 45-50 minutes. 

• I think the time we have now to eat lunch is good enough. We have plenty of time to eat and get done eating. Then we are able to talk to our friends for at least 5-10 more minutes. I've never seen an issue with it, I've always found I have enough time to eat lunch. 

• I agree, I feel like we have enough time to talk to our friends with a 30 minute lunch

• I think that lunch should be longer. I think that if was longer we will have more time to eat. I think more time will be better since it takes a long time to get lunch in line. And it will also help slow eaters.

• I think the lunch period should stay at 30 minutes because everyone seems to have enough time to eat and talk to their friends, and the school day shouldn't have to be longer because of lunch. I think everyone has time to eat and dump their treys.

• I think that lunch should be longer, I think that there should be enough time ot eat for the slow eaters, I also think that lunch is time for people to talk and do what they need and it is a type of break for people and that is what students need to have a good day sometimes.

• The amount of time we have to eat lunch right now is perfect. It allows everyone to finish their food but still have time to socialize with others. I wouldn't want to have a long day either. I think that it should continue to stay around 30 minutes.

• I think the lunchtime we have right now is perfect. Everyone finishes their lunch with time to spare. Would I enjoy a longer lunch? Yes. But its not absolutely necessary. I feel its fine how it is. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker