History of Shaved Ice (Tropical Sno)

Have you ever wondered how and where things were invented? In this case, I will tell you about where shaved ice came from, you may also know it as Tropical Sno or a sno cone. Shaved ice has been around for a long time, but has continued to evolve over the years. The start of shaved ice was in 618-907 AD. And was created by using hand tools and ice blocks. This was reserved for royalty only, and was a huge luxury.

Shaved ice also has had a huge cultural significance in our world. It can be found all over the world, especially during a country's hot summer months. It's a huge staple in Japanese summer festivals and celebrations. Shaved ice is also commonly known in Hawaii, due to Japanese immigrants in the 1900’s bringing over the popular treat. Shaved ice quickly became a favorite treat among Hawaiians and visitors. 

In recent years, shaved ice has become more popular and more modern for our day. Electric ice shavers were invented, and popularity began to spread. It's now available in restaurants, food trucks, and even homes. Now they are creating more flavors, and topping that will create new experiences for people. Overall, I think shaved ice has came a long way, and will  only continue to get better as time goes on. Personally, I love shaved ice, it's one of my favorite desserts.

Questions- 

1. Do you like shaved ice, if so, what do you like about it?

2. Have you ever had Tropical Sno in Harlan?

3. Do you think shaved ice will continue to get better as the years go on?

Sources- 

https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/hawaii-stories/food-and-entertainment/shave-ice-history#:~:text=To%20cool%20off%2C%20Japanese%20immigrants,shave%20ice%E2%80%94not%20shaved%20ice.

https://hawaiianshavedice.com/blogs/news/a-taste-of-shaved-ice-history

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes, I do I like all the flavors and its a good treat during the summer. Yes I have had tropical Sno in harlan during the summer. I think shaved ice is good just the way it is and I don't think it could get better. 

• In my opinion I think shaved ice is great. I like how it dissolves and how refreshing it is in the summer. Yes, I have had Tropical Sno in Harlan many times and it was perfect for all the hot summer days. I think shaved ice will contiue to grow as the years go on because it truly is a great treat.

• I would agree with this. More flavors is a great idea!

• I love shaved ice expecially on hot days its the best! I love how there are so many different flavers you can try and how you can mix and decide your own flavers. I have been to Tropical Sno in Harlan, I have every summer they have it.  I think Tropical Sno will continue because peolpe love it and it is super popular during summer. 

• I love shaved ice, especially in the summer. I have tried Tropical Sno in Harlan and I think it'll get better and there will be more offered flavors.

• I really like it a lot too. I love the amounts of flavors they have.

• I like shaved ice because there are many flavors, and I love mixing flavors. I haven't had Tropical Sno in Harlan, but I have had it other places. I don't know if shaved ice will grow in popularity, but I think it's great for business in small towns. They may add new flavors as well.

• I agree, I love Tropical sno and think it is great for our small town and has great potential to grow as a business.

• I liked shaved ice because it is just a nice snack to have when it is a hot day outside. I have had Tropical Snow in Harlan and it is pretty good. I think I will get shaved ice as the years go on. There is also a lot of different flavors which makes the shaved ice even better and more enjoyable.

• I like shaved ice because there are so many flavors to choose from. I've had Tropical Sno in Harlan. I think shaved ice will get better as the years go by because it is something that has stuck around for so long and is an iconic staple for cold summer snacks.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker