History of Shaved Ice (Tropical Sno)

Have you ever wondered how and where things were invented? In this case, I will tell you about where shaved ice came from, you may also know it as Tropical Sno or a sno cone. Shaved ice has been around for a long time, but has continued to evolve over the years. The start of shaved ice was in 618-907 AD. And was created by using hand tools and ice blocks. This was reserved for royalty only, and was a huge luxury.

Shaved ice also has had a huge cultural significance in our world. It can be found all over the world, especially during a country's hot summer months. It's a huge staple in Japanese summer festivals and celebrations. Shaved ice is also commonly known in Hawaii, due to Japanese immigrants in the 1900’s bringing over the popular treat. Shaved ice quickly became a favorite treat among Hawaiians and visitors. 

In recent years, shaved ice has become more popular and more modern for our day. Electric ice shavers were invented, and popularity began to spread. It's now available in restaurants, food trucks, and even homes. Now they are creating more flavors, and topping that will create new experiences for people. Overall, I think shaved ice has came a long way, and will  only continue to get better as time goes on. Personally, I love shaved ice, it's one of my favorite desserts.

Questions- 

1. Do you like shaved ice, if so, what do you like about it?

2. Have you ever had Tropical Sno in Harlan?

3. Do you think shaved ice will continue to get better as the years go on?

Sources- 

https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/hawaii-stories/food-and-entertainment/shave-ice-history#:~:text=To%20cool%20off%2C%20Japanese%20immigrants,shave%20ice%E2%80%94not%20shaved%20ice.

https://hawaiianshavedice.com/blogs/news/a-taste-of-shaved-ice-history

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I love the amount of flavors to choose from, everytime you go there is a new option, which in my opinion keeps me coming back to try new things. 

• I love all of the flavor combinations that you can make with shaved ice, the possibilities are truly endless! I've been to Tropical Snow in Harlan a few times and I love it! I totally see shaved ice to continue to grow especially in small towns like ours. 

• I do like shaved ice, I like that it is cold and taste however I want it to. I think that sometimes it is over priced because it is just ice and flavor. I have tired tropical sno in carlan. I think it does have potential to get better as the years go on.

• I would agree it does get expensive, but so has everything else in our economy. With inflation prices just keep rising!

• Yes, I like shaved ice because on a hot summer day having something really cold with some flavor is perfect. Yes, I have had the true snow in Harland and my favorite flavor is watermelon. yes, shaved ice will get bigger and better with time because everyone loves it. 

• It is not my favorite dessert but I do enjoy it in hot weather. I like that there are too many flavors, some sweet, others sour and even spicy. I haven't tried Tropical Sno in Harlan yet, but someday. I think it will get better and better over time.

• You should definetly check out Tropical Sno in Harlan, there is tons of flavors to choose from. I think you might suprise yourself and enjoy it more than you think!

• I like shaved ice and all the flavors that are offered. I have tried Tropical Sno in Harlan and it is very good. I think shaved ice could get better if they get new flavors or creations. 

• I really like shaved ice and I like all the flavors that there are. I have had tropical sno a couple times but I think that some places are better. I think that shaved ice will not have as many good options as some other ice things like icecream.

• I could see this being true, but I think if you went somewhere bigger, they would have many more options and you could choose from lots of different options. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker