History of Shaved Ice (Tropical Sno)

Have you ever wondered how and where things were invented? In this case, I will tell you about where shaved ice came from, you may also know it as Tropical Sno or a sno cone. Shaved ice has been around for a long time, but has continued to evolve over the years. The start of shaved ice was in 618-907 AD. And was created by using hand tools and ice blocks. This was reserved for royalty only, and was a huge luxury.

Shaved ice also has had a huge cultural significance in our world. It can be found all over the world, especially during a country's hot summer months. It's a huge staple in Japanese summer festivals and celebrations. Shaved ice is also commonly known in Hawaii, due to Japanese immigrants in the 1900’s bringing over the popular treat. Shaved ice quickly became a favorite treat among Hawaiians and visitors. 

In recent years, shaved ice has become more popular and more modern for our day. Electric ice shavers were invented, and popularity began to spread. It's now available in restaurants, food trucks, and even homes. Now they are creating more flavors, and topping that will create new experiences for people. Overall, I think shaved ice has came a long way, and will  only continue to get better as time goes on. Personally, I love shaved ice, it's one of my favorite desserts.

Questions- 

1. Do you like shaved ice, if so, what do you like about it?

2. Have you ever had Tropical Sno in Harlan?

3. Do you think shaved ice will continue to get better as the years go on?

Sources- 

https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/hawaii-stories/food-and-entertainment/shave-ice-history#:~:text=To%20cool%20off%2C%20Japanese%20immigrants,shave%20ice%E2%80%94not%20shaved%20ice.

https://hawaiianshavedice.com/blogs/news/a-taste-of-shaved-ice-history

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I like tropical snow because it its easy to eat unlike ice cream, I love ice cream don't get me wrong but, I do like me some tropical snow. Yes I have had the trop. sno in harlan, its really good with lots of different flavors. Im not sure if it would get better, but if it did that would be nice.

• I think shaved ice will improve as more time goes on, so will the Tropical Sno business. 

• Tropical snow and/or shaved ice is a good way to cool down after a hot sunny day or go on a walk with. Tropical snow in harlan is either on Chatburn Ave. or the fair which gives people many chances to try some. I think tropical snow will be around until a better option comes by.

• I like shaved ice because there is variety, and it is relatively easy to make. I've been to Tropical Sno in Harlan throughout the years when they were a popup stand near HyVee. One of the top flavors I get is mango and black cherry flavoring. I think that with new developments, shaved ice can improve and evolve. 

• We have had multiple Tropical Snos' in our town. By far my favorite is the new one, Im glad it will be around for awhile!

• I like shaved ice and the fact that there are many flavor options to choose from. I think it's the best during the summer time and I remember getting it after a football practice once. I don't really know if it will get better as the years go on because I can't really see what they could change.

• I do like shaved ice and I like how there are so many flavor combination that you can choose from. Shaved ice is really nice during the summer when it gets hot and it can be a refreshing treat. I have had Tropical Sno in Harlan and it was pretty good but I don't remember what flavor I got. 

• I do like shaved ice, the flavor with the coldness is refreshing, especially in the summer when it is hot. I have had Tropical Sno, and I enjoyed it. My favorite is one with peach flavoring, and the sweet vanilla cream. I think it will continue to get better, especially with flavors and extras that you can add.

• That is one of my favorites too, not only does it taste great, its very easy to make!

• I think that I did almost just have tropical snow in my town Harlan and when it does go and happend it looks super cool when it started to happened. Also I do think that with the saved ice i do think it should start to get better over the years go by.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker