History of Immigration in the United States

America is a country that has had a lot of immigration ever since North America was founded. The United States was built on immigration starting in 1492 when Europeans started to colonize. Immigration has not always been good because when Europeans first came they killed many native people and took their land. There have been many immigrants since the United States has become its own country. 

The Great Atlantic Migration was one of the biggest immigrants to the United States. A small wave came in the 1840s while the bigger wave didn't come until the 1880. From 1880 to 1910 17 million Europeans migrated to the United States. Most of the people came from Germany and Ireland. Many farmers from Germany came to Illinois, Wisconsin, and Missouri.There was a failure of potato crop in Ireland which caused about 1 million deaths which pushed them to immigrate to the United States.

After The civil war some states started to put their own restrictions on immigration. In 1875 the Supreme Court declared that the regulations are to only be made by the federal government. There was an act put in place in 1917 that required a literacy test for immigrants over the age of 16. Immigration was cut during WWI however after the war nearly 1 million people migrated to the United States from Europe.

More recently most immigration comes from Mexico however there are people who migrate to America from all over the World. More recently people have argued about whether or not we should have different migration laws or if our border should be more protected. Most republicans want more protected borders and more immigration laws. On the other hand most democrats believe we have enough protection and the immigration law should not be changed.

Do you think immigration has been good for the U.S.?

Do you think our immigration laws are good?

https://kids.britannica.com/students/article/immigration-to-the-United-States/631487#342378-toc

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think immigration was bad before, not because of the immigrants but because of how badly they were treated. People that come to the U.S. are just looking for a better life, but instead they get treated poorly? How awful. Immigrants are not willing to harm the U.S. they actually have jobs here and are hardworkers. Immigration has recently been better, yet not as good. I DO think people should LEGALLY immigrate, I also think U.S. citizens should stop hating on immigrants, they wanted more land after all, why not more citizens? To have a diversity. This topic is very controversial, someone racist/xenophobic should never ever comment on this topic whatsoever. 

• I think immigration can be good beacuse everyone has there own ideas and can help, however, sometimes it can be bad becuase it can cuase problems. I think the immigration laws are ok beacuse it helps the U.S but they could beter.

• I think that immigration has been and currently is good. Great ideas and inventions have come from immigrants and everyone can bring change. I think that immigration laws are decent right now, they could be better. Even though there are some illegal immigrants, there are so many who come in legally, but face harassment because people don't believe them. 

• I agree that immigrants have invented many good things for the united states and has helped shape our country through the years.

• I think legal immigration can be good. If we have many good imigrants coming in, it helps build our country but if we bring in bad imigrants it will do bad for our country. I don't know much about the laws, but I think as long as we can regulate the illegal imigrants, then our country will be stronger.

• I think legal immigration is good but I don't think that the imgrats that come here legally should have to go back to the country they came from. I don't know the laws that great but I think it is a good thing there is border patrol so illegals can't get in.

• I do not think imagination has been a good thing in the United States to a certain degree a small amount of immigration is good to fulfill jobs but too much is bad because it could cause prices to go up from consumers wants.

• I think that Immigration has been very bad lately for the U.S. as it has caused many problems but it was good for the U.S. as that is how the United States started. I think that our immigration laws need to be stronger because it is easy for illegal immigrants to get into the U.S.

• I think that immigration is good and bad. I also think that our immigration laws could be improved a little more. 

• I think immigration is a good thing to an extent. I think that because there woldn't have been a United States without immigration but the stuff going on right now is not good. This is because if someone from Mexico immigrates to the U.S. illegally, they don't have to pay taxes until they are registered as an american citizen. I think the immigration laws could be more secure so we don't have any illegal immigrants not paying taxes.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker