History of Immigration in the United States

America is a country that has had a lot of immigration ever since North America was founded. The United States was built on immigration starting in 1492 when Europeans started to colonize. Immigration has not always been good because when Europeans first came they killed many native people and took their land. There have been many immigrants since the United States has become its own country. 

The Great Atlantic Migration was one of the biggest immigrants to the United States. A small wave came in the 1840s while the bigger wave didn't come until the 1880. From 1880 to 1910 17 million Europeans migrated to the United States. Most of the people came from Germany and Ireland. Many farmers from Germany came to Illinois, Wisconsin, and Missouri.There was a failure of potato crop in Ireland which caused about 1 million deaths which pushed them to immigrate to the United States.

After The civil war some states started to put their own restrictions on immigration. In 1875 the Supreme Court declared that the regulations are to only be made by the federal government. There was an act put in place in 1917 that required a literacy test for immigrants over the age of 16. Immigration was cut during WWI however after the war nearly 1 million people migrated to the United States from Europe.

More recently most immigration comes from Mexico however there are people who migrate to America from all over the World. More recently people have argued about whether or not we should have different migration laws or if our border should be more protected. Most republicans want more protected borders and more immigration laws. On the other hand most democrats believe we have enough protection and the immigration law should not be changed.

Do you think immigration has been good for the U.S.?

Do you think our immigration laws are good?

https://kids.britannica.com/students/article/immigration-to-the-United-States/631487#342378-toc

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that the immigration laws could be more sucure because it would help slow illegal imigration as welll as help with keeping drugs out of the U.S.

• I think that immigration is looked at both ways as in it could be good and it could be bad. Most immigrants come looking for the so-called "American Dream." If they are coming to America to find work and not harm the United States they should be allowed to stay. 

• I think immigration did make a impact. I know some bad things have happened but that gives no reason for people to discriminate. I think immigration is okay and that it gives a lot of people many oppertunitys and experiences.

• I think immigration has not been good for America because it increases our population which means more people using our resources and more people we have to find shelter for. I also think immigration is not good for us because when we have open borders terrorists and other bad people can come into our country and have full access to our country which isn't good for us.

• I disagree because without imigration the united states would have never even started.

• I don't know what to think about this. I feel like immigration is a good thing because it allows other people to live in our country, not just "White-Americans". I feel like our immigration laws in the US are good and they work well. 

• I agree because people that imigrate to the U.S. can help with jobs and have tought us new things from their cultures over the years.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker