History of Hunting

The history of hunting goes way back 2 million years ago. The cavemen only had hand-made wooden spears, bows, and arrows back then. Hunting was the only way they had to survive, they had to hunt every animal they could kill and use all of the resources of that animal. They would eat every piece of meat on the animal, use all of the bones as broad heads for the arrows, and make knives out of the bones. The cavemen would also use the hides from the animals as coats, blankets, etc. 

A little over 500 years ago people and cavemen started to use guns to hunt for animals. They would use black powder rifles, which were also used during the Civil War. When they started using black powder rifles to hunt it became way easier to hunt, they did not have to get as close to the animals to kill them because they could reach out to a hundred yards with the black powder, compared to the spear and bow they had to be close.  

Hanting has come a long way since 2 million years ago. Now we have rifles that will kill an animal at 500-600 yards with no problem. We also have new archery technology they will kill an animal at 70-80 yards compared to 2 million years ago you had to be within 15 yards because the arrow was moving so slowly and with the new technology they are making the arrows move way faster and are shooting a lot more accurate. The clothing has also come really far for hunting, there are hunting clothing brands that have come far and are selling one piece of clothing for over $500. I have always been a hunter and always will be. 

Have you ever been hunting or would you want to?

If so what animals do you hunt or want to hunt?

Did you know that hunting has been around for this long?

Sources - 

https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/hunter-gatherer-culture/

https://gothunts.com/the-importance-of-maintaining-americas-hunting-culture/#:~:text=Even%20though%20hunting%20gets%20a,that%20needs%20to%20be%20maintained.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I have been hunting since I was the same age, I will hunt for the rest of my life also. 

• I have never been hunting but I would like to go hunting. If I were to hunt an animal I would hunt a deer of some kind because deer jerky is the best. I thought that hunting had been around for that long because people were able to get meat. 

• I you ever get the chance to go hunting I would recommend taking the chance.  

• Personally I have never been hunting and I don't really plan on hunting. I don't hunt any animals because I love animals. I didn't know that hunting has been around for so long, I that is pretty cool.

• I have never been hunting but I would maybe like to hunt because I can make some good food. Some animals I would want to hunt are deer. I did not know that hunting has been around that long.

• I recommend giving it a try, it is really fun. 

• I have gone hunting before I stopped though as I don't have the patience for it. I went deer and turkey hunting, I also went with my brother's when they went pheasant hunting too. I didn't know that it had been that long as I thought people were more reliant on crops then animals. 

• I understand with the parents. i get board sometimes but when I am dedicated I stick it out and sit as long as I can. 

• I have not been hunting, and I hope I can someday. If I am ever to go hunting I would probably not carry a gun quite yet because I do not know what I am doing. I would go deer hunting with my dad and siblings. I did not realize that hunting has been around for that long!

• I never went hunting and do not want to hunt at all because i care for nature and the animals they deserve to live also and it's not fair for them to get shot and eaten by people. I don't want to hunt any animal because animals has feelings just like us. I knew that hunting was here for a long time.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker