History of Fentanyl in the U.S.

History of Fentanyl

What is Fentanyl? Fentanyl is an opioid drug that is often hidden in other drugs. People who are addicted to fentanyl usually don't realize it is in the marajana or cocaine they are buying. Fentanyl is easily addictive and can easily kill you. In the U.S. almost 1,000,000 people are addicted to fentanyl. Fentanyl is 50 times times more addictive than herion. If herion can ruin your life, just imangine how bad fentanyl can be.

Tony’s story. Tony got unknowingly addicted to fentanyl in their college years. They smoked marijuana at a party and later found out that it was spiked with fentanyl. After they found out that it was spiked with fentanyl they said they would stop. They later came around and had another dose unknowingly. Most fentanyl addictions start in the college years. College years - unknown addcition. Most of the people who do try a dose of fentanyl often chase the "high" that they got from it, which is what leads them back.

Fentanyl is a scary drug. All drugs are scary drugs. I think that no one should take their chances with any drug, because it would be infused with fentanyl. No matter if your drug is infused with fentanyl or not, all drugs have bad side effects. In the U.S. almost 100,000 people died THIS YEAR from a fentanyl overdose. Often times Fentanyl can follow you not only to your grave but your childrens grade. Next time you think about "smoking weed" at a party double think about the real addictions it can lead to.

Sources:

https://usafacts.org/articles/are-fentanyl-overdose-deaths-rising-in-the-us/ 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv8bndopbgI 

https://www.cdc.gov/stopoverdose/fentanyl/index.html#:~:text=Fentanyl%20is%20a%20synthetic%20opioid,nonfatal%20overdoses%20in%20the%20U.S.&text=There%20are%20two%20types%20of,Both%20are%20considered%20synthetic%20opioids

Questions:

Did the number of deaths and addictions surprise you?

What other causes of fentanyl addictions do you know?

Do you believe that the post common starting addictions start in college?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you so many people can be adddicted to drugs, some people we didnt even know could be.  I agree with you, I think that many drugs do have the possiblity of being laced with fentanyl and that is a common addiction starter.

• I think that the rates and number of deaths are not shocking, I would expect them to be as high as they are because many drugs end up being spiked and the user are uninformed about it. I could see college as a starting grounds for addictions, but it could also start in highschool, like vaping and other drugs. 

• I agree with you seeing the rates did not shock me because of how many people are addicted to drugs.  I agree many people to get spiked and not know about it. I think that college is a addiction starter along with vaping.

• No it doesn't suprise me because fentanyl is a very easily drug that can killl you. I think it's true that addictions start in college because they are still trying to find themselves and for most of them their brain isn't fully developed yet.

• I agree with you it did not surpise me that much. I think that addictions do commmly start in college because people are "trying to find" themselbes, but I  think they should be finding themselves though better things.

• I think the addictions and deaths dont surprise me, but I also think it's sad that thye aren't surprising. I think Fentanyl is a very scary substance and it's sad how overused it is, and how common it's become. 

• The number of deaths and addictions would obviously be high but I did not know they were that big. I think college creates lots of oppurtunities for younger people to start using things like fentanyl and other drugs but not everybody decides to start.

• No it dosent supprise me. It dosen't becasue ive heard how easy it is to die and for things to get laced with this drug and the small amount it takes to kill people. Yes I beleive that these addicitons start on colloge becasue of peer pressure and just wanting to fit in and have less stress about school. 

• Yes and no, the number is high, but I think and knew lots of people use drugs. I didnt know lots about fentanyl and this was very imformative. I think college opens up a lot more oppurtunites and starts drug and drinking problems for some people,not all though.

• The number of deaths and addictions didn't really suprise me because i've already heard about how bad fentanyl is. I also do belive that most common starting addictions hapen in college just due to the party life in college. This has a big impact on people because it messes up most peoples life's.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker