History of Daylight savings

Daylight savings time has been around for a long time. How long you may ask. Well it is thought that people used some similar practices thousands of years ago however,  it was started in 1908 in Canada but it never came to the United States in 1918 with the standard time act.

After Indiana decided to join the majority of the country and use daylight savings time in 2006 the only two states that don’t use it are Hawaii and Arizona. On march 15, 2022 the US senate passed the Sunshine Protection act. The act would make daylight saving permanent even through the winter months. This would cause us to have less sun in the morning and more in the evening. 

In WWII from February 9, 1942 to September 30, 1945 there was something called war time which was just year round daylight saving time in the United states. This was introduced by Franklin D. Roosevelt.  Time zones were called “Central War Time”, “Easter War time” etc. From 1945 to 1966 there were no daylight savings rules which caused a lot of confusion throughout the country until the uniform time act was established. This gave the country a Daylight savings schedule while allowing states to opt out. There has been only one more year round daylight saving period since then which was during the 1973 Oil embargo. 

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/us/daylight-saving-usa.html

Do you like having daylight savings?

Do You think we shoul go to year round daylight savings?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not like daylight saving stimes, they always mess up my sleep schedule, make me more tired, etc. I dont like when it gets dark early, and I dont like when its dark in the morning. Overall, I just dont like daylight savings time. 

• I don't think that we should have daylight savings because it's really annoying and a lot of other countries have already stopped doing it. I don't think that we should have a daylights savings time to began with.

• I think daylight savings is kind of annoying. I hate having to change the clocks and having to adjust to a different hour. Although daylight savings is annoying, I think it is very necessary. I don't think we should ever go year round with daylight savings. 

• I also find daylight savings to be annoying at times but I agree that it is a good thing because we get more sunlight after school.

• I think it is cool to have daylight savings time because I love the sky and looking at the stars. I also don't like daylight savings time because I like fishing and it is hard to find time after a day because it gets dark super early.

• I do not really like the daylight savings because It takes the daylight away after school and gives me less time to get stuff done after school. I think that if we were to get rid of daylight saving time it would not affect me because I would get used to getting up at the same time. 

• I dissagree because if daylight savings was year round then you would have more time to do things after school.

• I like having daylight savings in the fall because it gives me an extra hour of sleep. But when it gets to springing forward I don't because I have to lose an hour of sleep. I don't think it affects us much except in the summer when it is lighter for longer. That is when I appreciate day light savings.

• I think it is fine to have daylight savings it doesn't affect at all. If it went year round daylight savings it would be alright because that is what it would be and I probably wouldn't notice at all.

• I agree because if we went year round then the time would never change and we wouldn't have to lose an hour of sleep in the spring.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker