History of April Fools Day

April fools day is a tradition celebrated or practiced every year on April first. It is a day full of tricks or jokes typically followed by the words “April Fools!” April Fools day has been around for centuries and is celebrated by many different cultures. Its true origin can be considered a mystery. There are only theories about how Aprils Fools truly came to be.

Some historians date April Fools Day back to 1582. This was when France switched from the Julian calendar to the Georgian calendar.  In the Julian calendar the new year began around April 1st. The Georgian calendar started the new year in January. Many people didn’t acknowledge the change to January and continued to celebrate it in April. It became a widespread joke, people would make paper fish and place them on their backs meaning , “poisson d’avril,” or april fish. It was meant to mean an easily caught fish or a gullible person.

Do you like April Fools Day?

Have you ever done a prank on someone for April Fools Day? If so, what was it?

Did you know the history of April Fools Day?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I like the idea of april fools day. I have never but my parents have- done plenty of crazy one that probally went to far. I never knew the history of april fools day.

• I like april fools day and I think it is a fun thing to participate in with friends and family. I have done many pranks on people during april fools day but i can not remeber what and I did n ot do one this year. I did not know the history.

• I like april fools because it is nice to prank someone and have fun with it. I've never reallly pranked someone on April Fools because I don't know. I never knew the history of April Fools day before.

• I like April Fools because it think it is fun to joke around with your friends. I have never really pranked anyone on April Fools, just small jokes. I did not know the history of April Fools, and I thought it was interesting that the Julian calendar started over on April first. 

• No. Yes i have, for legal reasons i cant say the prank. No i didnt. 

• I don't really get the purpose of the pranks on April Fools Day, but sometimes it can be funny. I've never done an April Fools Day prank because I don't get the point and I don't want to. I didn't know the history of April Fools Day.

• I do like April Fools day, some pranks people do can be very interesting and fun. I can't think of any pranks that i have done but i probobly did when i was younger. I did not know the history of april fools and i didn't really know anyhting about it.

• I don't realy like april fools day but I don't hate it I just do everything I normaly would do that day and I havent done any april fools day pranks. I did not  know much about the history of april fools day before reading this however it is kind of interesting.

• I think that April Fools Day is an interesting day for lots of people. Some people just like playing pranks and this is a perfect day for them. In middle school, I tried to prank my friends that I was moving to Colorado, but it didn't work. 

• I agree, it is a very interesting prank.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker