History of April Fools Day

April fools day is a tradition celebrated or practiced every year on April first. It is a day full of tricks or jokes typically followed by the words “April Fools!” April Fools day has been around for centuries and is celebrated by many different cultures. Its true origin can be considered a mystery. There are only theories about how Aprils Fools truly came to be.

Some historians date April Fools Day back to 1582. This was when France switched from the Julian calendar to the Georgian calendar.  In the Julian calendar the new year began around April 1st. The Georgian calendar started the new year in January. Many people didn’t acknowledge the change to January and continued to celebrate it in April. It became a widespread joke, people would make paper fish and place them on their backs meaning , “poisson d’avril,” or april fish. It was meant to mean an easily caught fish or a gullible person.

Do you like April Fools Day?

Have you ever done a prank on someone for April Fools Day? If so, what was it?

Did you know the history of April Fools Day?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think April Fools Day is a funny day where almost all pranks are allowed. I think I've done a prank on my babysitter and my brother for April Fools Day, but nothing recently. I think April Fools Day is just an exception to everyday life to break up the long stretch of spring. 

• Me too, alsmost all pranks are allowed and you can't get in trouble.

• I dont ever do anything for April Fools because I think it's just another day. I don't think I have ever done an April fools Day prank on anyone but if I did I think it would be good. I didn't know about the history of April fools.

• I think that April fools day is a fun day. I don't really like when I get big news on April fools day because I don't know if its true. I haven't done a prank on anyone because I can't think of a good prank. I didn't know the history before reading this.

• I think that April Fools Day is fun, many people get a good laugh out of it and it's fun messing with people.... to an extent! I have not done an actual prank on someone and got them that I can remeber but my dad did get me pretty good yesterday! 

• I agree, most pranks are funny to a point.

• I love April Fools day, it is a very fun day. I usually try to prank people but it doesn't work out sometimes. When I was in 8th grade, I pranked ALL my teachers. I told them I needed to talk to them, then told them I didn't like their class. They were shocked it was funny. I did not know the history of april fools day and it is interesting.

• I agree, it is a very fun day!

• I think April Fools day is funny, and especially seeing pranks being done to people. I feel like the pranks have become more scares and scares over the years, like it's not a widely celebrated day anymore, it's forgotten about. I used to prank my mom and dad or my siblings, but it's been so long since ive done that. Iv'e grown up and forgotten about April Fools day. 

• I agree, I like seeing the pranks done to others.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker