History of April Fools Day

April fools day is a tradition celebrated or practiced every year on April first. It is a day full of tricks or jokes typically followed by the words “April Fools!” April Fools day has been around for centuries and is celebrated by many different cultures. Its true origin can be considered a mystery. There are only theories about how Aprils Fools truly came to be.

Some historians date April Fools Day back to 1582. This was when France switched from the Julian calendar to the Georgian calendar.  In the Julian calendar the new year began around April 1st. The Georgian calendar started the new year in January. Many people didn’t acknowledge the change to January and continued to celebrate it in April. It became a widespread joke, people would make paper fish and place them on their backs meaning , “poisson d’avril,” or april fish. It was meant to mean an easily caught fish or a gullible person.

Do you like April Fools Day?

Have you ever done a prank on someone for April Fools Day? If so, what was it?

Did you know the history of April Fools Day?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't know if I like it or not, because I haven't done a prank on anyone, or maybe yes but I don't remember, but I think it could be fun. I have never heard the history of April Fools Day before, it is interesting.

• I think April Fools Day is a fun day for lots of people but I have never participated in it. I do like April Fools just because of the pranks I see on people and it just sounds fun. I did not know any history of April Fools Day, and I would not have guessed that it dates back that far.

• I agree, I have only participated one time.

• I don't like it because their are just a lot of bad jokes and people just talking and just say "april fools." I don't think that I have done anything for april fools day. I didn't know about the history of april fools. I didn't know that someone actually created it in 1582.

• I enjoy april fools day. I have 100% done a prank on someone on april fools day. There is so much creativity to use, and there are so many possible pranks. My favorite part about the "holiday" is looking on socail media to see all of the funny videos to see clueless people falling for pranks.

• I agree, the videos are really funny.

• I enjoy April Fools Day because I can joke around with my friends. I also enjoy all the funny videos I see on that day.  

• I do like april fools day because it can be fun and you can almost get by with about any prank. i have done some april fools pranks on my brother about avery year and i always get him. I did not know the history of april fools days untill i read the passage on april fools day. 

• I do like April Fools. I have done a prank on my family but not recently but I just got a sponge and made it look like a cake and served it to them. I think April fools is just a day where people go prank others and is just a funny day. 

• I agree, it is a funny day.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker