The whole country knows what happened during the Monday Night Football game against the Buffalo Bills and the Cincinnati Bengals. The 24-year-old Damar Hamlin collapsed due to a cardiac arrest. This cardiac arrest could have been an instance of commotio cordis which is a blunt force impact disrupts the heart’s rhythm. This type of cardiac arrest is very rare.

In the 21st century 11-player tackle football was trending in high school, until the 2009-2010 academic year. The newest survey from the NFHS shows that in the 2021-22 academic school year there are less than 1 million people involved in 11-player high school football. That is the first time on record with fewer than a million players in 11-player football. This is a decrease of 12.2% from the peak in the years of 2008-2009. Football isn’t the only sport decreasing in size basketball is also decreasing. On the other hand, track and field and soccer are increasing. Soccer is increasing the most from the sports. In the 2018-19 school year there were 4.5 million boys involved in sports and there is 3.4 million girls involved in sports in that same school year. Now there are 200,000 less girls and boys as well, 400,000 people, in total, less in a 4 year span.

In my opinion, I don’t think that it is because of the injuries. I think its from the new technology. I think that the injuries also have some play in the decrease of people or students but not as much as technology. The new technology is starting to make people “lazier”. Instead of actually playing the sport you can play in online with friends instead.

Why do you think the number of students are decreasing?

Do you think that technology and online games play a part in the numbers?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think the numbers are going down for football from the severe head injuries from the studies that are being released. But I also think that numbers are going down for all sports because the future generations are becoming lazier in my opinion.

• I agree with everything you said. There are more and more studies that are being released on injuries but not as many studies that solves those issues. More and More people are getting lazy.

• I think as the genterations go on, people are more into sitting around playing video games and stuff instead of working hard with a team in sports. As technology gets better, so does digital entertainment, which attracts the younger generation more than physical sports.

• I agree. People think they can get the same experiences online as it is in person. I don't think that because its different in person than it is online.

• I think it is declining in numbers because there is severe laziness and lack of effort in their sports. A lot of kids just get things handed to them and expect to start on a sports team and be good without putting the work in. A lot of times, this happens to the coach's kid too. Once they have to compete for their position, they just quit.

• I agree. There is severe laziness in students today than a few years ago. I think that students expect to be good at a new sport and if they aren't they want to quit because its too much work.

• I think that the number of people decreasing in sports are because coaches only think about winning and not everyone plays and shows there potential to being good. I wasted my time in the sport I was good at so I quit football so I don't have to worry about dumb decisions anymore.

• I agree. Some coaches only think about winning and then it's not about having fun. I think that coaches should not only want to win but make sure the students are having fun as well.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree. A lot of students are getting lazier and lazier because they want to game and play sports online instead of in person and also with friends.

• I think that the numbers are going down because they are gaming or working. I do belive that gaming is a big part of why the numbers are going down. Some teens are also working jobs that are probably interfeering with their sports.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker