Hell Week!!

What is hell week?

Five and a half days of soaking, screaming, and exhausting military training. Running off of 4 total hours of sleep, Naval officers have put everything on the line to prove they are worthy of being a part of one of the eight seal teams. Since 1943, this week has been training America's most elite special forces operations unit. The Navy Seals!

The year is 1943, Adm. Ernest J. King - the commander-in-chief of the US. Fleet, ordered that Naval Demolition Units be formed. Months later training began at Amphibious Training Base in Solomons, Maryland. However, it was later moved to Fort Pierce, Florida. This new location was under the leadership of LTDP Draper Kauffman. The first of graduates were volunteers in the Navy and those who trained alongside the other SOF units; Scouts, and Raiders (SOF - Special Operations Forces).

Hell week was now an easy thing to get through. 76% of officers quit the training week, without even fully completing it. In interviews and documentaries with Navy Seals, they said, “Hell week wasn't about proving how strong or fast you were, it was about proving that you have the mentality to get through anything.” 

Navy Seals have rightfully earned their place among the top Special Operations Forces. From locating Bin Laden, fighting on D-Day, pushing Okinawa, and fighting for foreign freedom in Vietnam, it makes sense why the training program is so tough. Even looking at who is known as the toughest man alive (David Goggins), he has been through the seal program twice. He described it as one of the most challenging things he's ever done. 

In conclusion, the Navy Seals Hell Week has been going on for over 80 years and has supplied the US. Military with some of the best-trained officers that the world has ever seen. Standing in the face of battle from one war to the next and showing the rest of the world that America develops the perfect soldier to accomplish anything no matter the challenge or sacrifice, in order to protect the country that we love so much. 

https://www.nsw.navy.mil/NSW/History/WWII/#:~:text=MAY%20%2D%20JUN%201943,BUD%2FS)%20training%20classes.

navysealmuseum.org/about-the-navy-seal-museum/the-origin-of-the-national-navy-udt-seal-museum#:~:text=It%20was%20officially%20called%20“Introduction,and%20endure%20the%20same%20hardships.

Why do you think so many people fail Hell Week?

Would you like to be a Navy Seal?

If you had to be stationed on any operation what would it be and why?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think a lot of people fail during hell week because it is so harsh and rough on the soliders. It is not good for your mental or physical health. I would not want to be a Navy Seal because I would not be able to handle it. 

• I agree, I think that many soldiers arnt ready for all of the mental challanges that hell week includes. Just all of the phisical chalanges combined with the mental ones make this week one of the hardest challanges anyone in the millitary can take on. 

• I think that Hell Week is so harsh on the soldiers but that is how it is in their workforce, so they have to train for it somehow. I would not want to be a Navy Seal because I don't think I would be able to handle it with all the physical labor and mental strength. 

• I think so many people fail it because of how hard it is on not just your mental health but also your physical health. I would not want to be a Navy Seal, I don't think I could ever pass that week, and I would have to get kicked out. I also wouldn't want to be away from my family for long periods of time.

• I think people fail Hell Week because it sounds really hard and It would take alot to be able to go through it. I honestly don't think I could handle it.  I don't plan on becoming a navy seal, so I don't think I would like it. 

• I agree, I think that this week would be one of the hardest challanges anyone has ever faced. Even a man who ran through death valley said that hell week was super challanging. I think that joining the navy is not as difficult but doing specific jobs would be challanging. 

• I think they fail Hell Week because they are not ready for how hard it will be. It seems very physically taxing, and most people underestimate how strong they are and how much endurance they have. I would not be a Navy Seal. I would prefer a safer job in the military.

• I think that all people have some mental weakneess towards some situations, objects or some living being and I think that the people who failed Hell Week were because maybe they had to face something that weakened them in training or...I don't know. I don't know exactly which operation I would like to be in, but I know that I would like to be in one where I help the people who are there, Because I like to do it, I like to help people in things where I know I can be of some use.

• I agree, I think that the poeple going into hell week focause on the physical struggles, and forget about the mental part of it. This ends up being the thing that causes them to quit. I would love to help people too, but hopefully getting into some water when I do it. 

• It makes everyone have to push harder and harder to not fail but if they have to push their body to do things it can injure themselves and they fail and give up. I would not be a Naby Seal it sounds so awful to join that. I have nothing for operation.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker