Hawaii Missile Threat is a False Alarm

On Saturday morning, an emergency notification was sent out claiming that there was a missile threat for Hawaii. The message stated: "BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL." This warning was also announced on TV and on the radio. The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency quickly responded on Twitter saying that there was no missile threat to Hawaii. After 38 minutes of citizens trying to gather their belongings and get to a safe location, another Emergency Message was sent out to people's cell phones saying that the Missile Threat was a false alarm. Officials claimed that an employee accidentally pushed the wrong button during a changing of shifts. Investigators are still looking into the case to figure out the real story and reviewing why not all of the sirens went off with the text message.

Questions:  

1.) If you got this text message about a missile threat, where would you take shelter and why?

2.) What are some of your belongings you would take with you?

3.) What would your reaction be when you found out that the missile threat was a false alarm?

My answers:

1.) If I got this text message, I would probably try to go into a basement or somewhere underground where I was less likely to get hurt. I would also make sure that it was a sturdy structure that wasn't going to fall on me.

2.) I would bring food and water in case we were down their for awhile, my phone or computer to check for news updates, and I would of course bring my family with me and make sure that they are all safe.

3.) If I found out that the threat was a false alarm, I would be very grateful and relieved that it wasn't real, but also upset that they got everyone worked up and scared for something that wasn't even real. 

Want to read more? Click HERE

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Super job Abby!

• 1. I would definitely find someplace underground to shelter myself and my family if I got that text message. Maybe a basement, or a celler. I would also find something sturdy to cover my head. 

2. Obviously, I would make sure all of my family members were safe first. They are more important that any physical object. I would also make sure we had the necessities, such as food, water, and clothing.

3. At first, I can see my slelf relaxing, or calming down in relief. Then, I could see myself getting kind of angry for trying to save our lives when it was only a false alarm.

• I would absolutely try to find shelter. I would try to get my phone so I could get in touch with my family and friends during the crisis. I would also try to grab my dogs. I would probably be mad. That was a distrubing message to get. I'd probably get over it though. Mistakes happen.

• If I got this text message, I would try to go to my basement because that would be the safest place in my house. I would bring any food or water that I would find, my phone so I can check with other people, who don't live with me, to make sure that they are safe and to also check for further updates. I would also make sure that my family is with me and that they are safe. If I would out that the threat was a false alarm, I would be relieved because it wasn't real, but also a little upset because it worried everyone. 

• 3.) I would probably freak out and not know what to do. I would be very scared and start notifying everyone and ask if they got it too? Possibly make sure that it is real and not a drill. Turn on the news and watch for updates about the missle and where to go for shelter.

• 2.) I would bring the essentials that I need for an emergency. Food and water and my phone for communication possibly some books to read. I would bring my family and make sure friends know about this and they are in a safe place also. 

• 1.) I wouldnt shelter anywhere. We live in Harlan Iowa I don't think that there is anywhere to go to shelter except your house. The safest place you could go is you basement or if you have a bomb shelter or a friend does.

• If I were to be a citizen in this situation I feel I would hit a survival mode. I'd want to leave the area as soon as possible and take as many things as possible. I would grab important things that I loved while also carrying money, birth certificate, and other important things I need. When I found out this was a false alarm my reaction would vary on how far I have come from when I saw the alert. If I was on a plane heading out of state, then yes I would be mad.

• That would be a good idea to bring your birth certificate and other importannt documents that you may need sometime.

• I would go into my basement under something very sturdy and try to bring my family with me. I would bring food and water because you don't know how long it would take. I would be relieved but a little upset with the scare.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker