Gun's Right

On Friday of last week, Governor Kim Reynolds passed/signed a law allowing teachers to carry guns on school grounds. The law, House File 2586 also gives school districts and school employees qualified immunity for the use of reasonable force. It requires the state's largest school districts to employ school resource officer in their high school unless their school board votes to opt out. Republican supporters think allowing school districts to choose is a way to give school districts more control over safety. Democrats and gun violence prevention groups say it will make students and school employees feel less safe because there could be gun accidents in schools. Democrats opposed the bill that allows school districts to use professional development funds to pay for training for staff members who want to have a gun.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2024/04/19/iowa-governor-kim-reynolds-signs-bill-letting-teachers-school-staff-permit-carry-guns-at-school/73375796007/

Do you think teachers should be allowed to have guns on school grounds?

Do you think students and other staff member will feel safer or not?

Should professional development funds be used to train staff members on how to properly handle a gun in school?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think either way would be ok because if a teacher has a gun with them then they are more safer with a weapon is case anything does happen. But it could be not ok because a student could grab the gun. I think so because they know they have something to use for protection. Yes so that they know how and when to use it apropriatly. 

• I don't think teachers should be allowed to have guns on school grounds because some teachers can't be trusted with a gun, and kids could get their hands on it and start a shooting. I think the professional developement funds instead should be used for training teachers on ways to stay safe during a shooting.

• I think it would definitely depend on the comfort of the teacher and how confident they would be with carrying a gun. I think that overall, it should be up to the teacher to decide and go through the right training. I'm not sure if kids would feel safer, I think it would depend on what each student thinks.

• They should if they did training with the guns and they are aloud to bring the guns with them on all times. I think some staff and students can feel safe but most don't and they can feel if they are in danger.  Yes so they can use the guns properly and not shoot at anything or hurt someone accidentaly.

• Yes, I think that they should be able to carry guns on school grounds if they pass certain test and requirments. I feel like some stuidents will feel safer and other will feal less safe beacuse some stuidents do not belive in that. 

• I think the teacher should have guns but they have to know how to use it and not only know how to use it but also really be responsible having that, yes I think we would be safe. Of course professional development funds should be used to train staff members on how to properly handle a gun.

• I think it is very dangerous for teachers to have weapons on school grounds, I don't think anyone feels safer with that, on the contrary I think everyone would be afraid and would always be taking risks from "curious" students. I don't think it's a good idea to even consider having a gun at school even if they took the time to explain how to use it.

• I don't know if I think teachers should be able to have guns in schools. There are few concerns that come to mind. Could student finds away to get acess to the teacher's gun? Where will the guns be kept? If I knew the answers to these questions I'd know if I'd feel safer or not. If teachers are allowed to have guns there definetly should be funds for training and certification to have one.

• I think that teachers should be allowed to have guns on school grounds as long as they have hours of training. I also think that the students should not know which teachers have guns in order to protect that teacher and the students that are in their class if a shooting were to happen.

• I honestly think that with how the world is now maybe they should. I would hope to feel safer but I honestly think that some teachers would abuse the power given to them with the guns. I think if they were allowed to they would definitely need a lot of training.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker