Four-day school weeks

Many times in school, you will hear students and staff complain about the long hours and long weeks. There are several pros and cons to shortening a week to 4 days. Some advantages to a four-day week include a reduced amount of discipline. With shorter weeks comes a smaller chance of discipline referrals. It is also proven that when a school has four day weeks, the school's overall attendance improves. The article I refer to it states that “the Melstone School District in Melstone, Mont., has reported statistics indicating that their attendance improved as much as 20 percent over two years after moving to a four-day school week.” This is because students are less overwhelmed with school, and feel comfortable going without fear and anxiety about homework, etc.  Although there are many more pros to four-day weeks, the last one I will discuss is reducing financial costs. With a shorter week, bus driver salaries decrease, the amount of lunch and breakfast decreases. This causes these programs to be reduced by around 20%, causing the school to benefit financially.

Although there are many pros for a four-day week, there are also some cons against the four-day weeks. Some examples are scheduling problems at home. Although students would go to school for four days, working parents would still have to work all week. This causes issues especially with families who are less fortunate and can not afford daycare, babysitters, etc. Another negative effect is it allows more opportunities for students to get in trouble outside of school. It has been proven that in larger areas with four-day school weeks, their juvenile detention rates increased. 

I think that overall students and staff would benefit from four-day school weeks. I believe that it would show an increase in attendance and grades. I believe that it gives students a chance to live a life, work a job, and earn money outside of school. With less school time, districts will begin to see a change in students' and staff's attitudes. Many will be better rested, and less stressed about coming to school. I think it would benefit schools, and I hope to see this happen someday. 

What do you think about four-day school weeks?

Do you think schools should change?

https://education.seattlepi.com/advantages-four-day-school-week-1548.html 

https://greengarageblog.org/15-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-the-4-day-school-week

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that the four day school weeks would not be as beneficial as they are made out to be since students have to be in for a certain amount of days we would have to have a longer school year to make up for the one lost day every week. I do not think that schools should change their schedule because overall I think that the five day week works as it should it gives plenty of time to do homework and still be able to do stuff outside of school.

• Well, you really wouldn't have to cut into summer really at all. IF we went until 3:30 and had a day off we would still make our hours. It is just a matter of if you would rather get out at 3:00 or get out at 3:30 but have a day off.

• I agree that we should go to a four day school week since we already go over on the amount of days that we need per school year. Also I think that going to school for four days a week and three days off a week would be beneficial to the students and the teachers.  I also think that if schools went to four days a week it would give everyone more of a break every week.

• I think that the four day school week would not be helpful to stundents. For this to work you would have to cut out days of the summer witch would take away some of the fun of Summer. It would be stress full because you have to cram things to get done in short periods on time during the week. The four day week would not be helpful for students why change whats working.

• I can agree with you because of your claims. I think you are correct when it comes to having to cut into summer. I think a lot of time and effort would have to be put into the scheduling and would end up causing more issues. 

• I agree that schools should reduce the weeks to four days. Students need to be in school for 1080 hours a year, which we are well over. We can afford to cut down on some time which would benefit everybody.

• I think that four day school work has some big disadvantages. I also think that the advantages are bigger because it would be very helpful with that extra day each week so you could work on homework and other school work. I feel that the extra day would definitely pay off.

• I think that day school weeks would be very nice as it would even out the week. There would be four days of school and 3 days to do whatever. If schools changed I think there would be a lot more positive benefits than there would be negative. Personally, I would like school better if it was only days a week.

• I'm not sure if the benefits to a four-day school week would outweigh the negative effects of it.  I think it would be a cool thing to experiment with for a month or two to figure out if it would be a good route for a school to go.

• I agree, I think that we really wouldn'tt know if it worked until we at least tried it out a little bit. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker