Fishermen Faced With a Challenging Decision

Just recently at Lake Vygozero in Russia, fishermen were faced with the decision to save two bear cubs that were left by their mother in the middle of this lake. The mother of the two cubs was trying to cross the ice when it became too thin and they all fell thru. The mother could not swim with the cubs on her back so she had to leave them. That is when some fishermen spotted the cubs and decided to save them. As the bear cubs thrashed around in the water, the fishermen made their way over to them on their boat. As the bears clung to the boat the fishermen searched for something to get the bears up into the vessel. They found a net and quickly took action by scooping the cubs up and bringing them into the boat. The exhausted fishermen then took the bear cubs to an island where they could be reunited with their mother. To read more click here.

1. If you were these fishermen would you have taken action? If so why? 

If I were a fisherman in this situation and I encountered this I would have taken action, but I would have made sure that the momma bear was not around to attack me.

2. What would you do once the bears were on board?

I would probably call a game warden or someone that knows how to deal with these types of situations.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Once the bears were on board I'd probably try to get to shore as fast as I can and stay as far away from the cubs in the boat as possible. If the bears really needed help if they were freezing I might to dry them off before I release them. However, I'd try to keep minimal contact with them.

• I agree that drying them off would be a good idea because they might get hypothermia, and after the long hard task of getting them on board and saved, I wouldn't let them die because of being careless or scared of the bears.

• Yes, I would have taken action because the little bear cubs don't need to be left out in the middle of the lake to suffer. It would be kind of dangerous depending on how big they are. If they were big enought that they might harm you I'd probably call animal control because I wouldn't want to be attacked.

• That is a good point. No one, not even humans, want to suffer. The little cubs would of been scared and lost if they would not of been rescued. Depending on the size of the bear, would have an impact on how I would help the bears. Making sure I would stay safe if I decided to help my self.

• Yes, that is true that if they were too big that they could be dangerous, and calling animal control would be a good idea, however, the bears would be very tired and probably not willing to attack you. Animal control could also take to long to get there so you may have to do something before they get there. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker