Firearms in the 21st Century

Most people, at least Americans in the 21st century own a gun. We're talking like 50%, The F.B.I.'s data concludes that they are mostly handguns and were purchased recently. Their data states that approximately 90% of these firearms were purchased in the past two years, and that the reasoning behind this was that citizens are frenzie buyings guns after mass events like a shooting of many people or an election of an liberal official who wants to enforce strong gun control/Banning of Guns. 

More in depth on the uprise of gun sales, in the 21st century. Americans across the country in a seven month time frame in 2020 bought around 15.1 million guns between March and September. This was a shocking 91% increase in comparison to the same data from 2019. Although it may seem like everyone owns a gun it has become much harder to purchase a firearm in 2021. F.B.I. data shows that in just the first nine months of 2020 alone they have processed more background checks to purchase a firearm then they ever had in a full year previously before. 

Owning a firearm is obviously important to many people today in the modern world. With tension and fear rising more and more are feeling the need to find a means of protecting their home/property and family/loved ones. A pistol is a great choice to do so and this explains why so many are purchasing one, although this is good and bad. It is good because people are practicing their 2nd amendment rights and gaining a form of protection for if a situation were to arise where they needed it. It's also bad because more people buying firearms means ammunition prices go up along with gun prices. Also people who don't need access to firearms are getting them and as a result guns are becoming harder and harder to purchase. 

glock-47-cbp19.jpgAverage Home Defence Pistol 

My questions are: 

Does your family own a firearm?

What is your stance on gun controll? 

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/27/us/guns-2020-election.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great story choice and summary Gavin! You didn't reply to any student comments which is worth 30 points.

• I'm italian so my family doesn't have any guns, very few people legally own one in my country because it's very difficult to purchase one since you need special permits that aren't easy to get. I have to say that most of the people I know are happy about this, almost nobody feels like more people should have firearms. There are also some studies about how it seems like it's even more dangerous to have a gun inside the house than to not have one, but I am not sure if this is true or not.  

• Nope, my family doesn't have any guns. I think that you could make a few more restrictions but I don't think that people should have that big of a deal out of good people purchasing guns. I think that you could maybe make some changes but none that would take away the 2nd amendment and our rights.

• Yes, my family owns many firearms, I own two firearms as well. I really like my two firearms they come in handy for many things and the pistol is small enough for safe carry along. I feel like there should be maybe a few more restrictions on gun control but if your a good person with no background  they shouldn't have a problem with buying the weapons.

• Yes, my family does own firearms. I feel it is also good to own a firearm in case of an emergency where you may need it and it also makes me feel more safer. Just because you have one also doesn't mean you have to use it you can always just have it. 

• Yes we own a firearm. My stance on gun control is that it should be regulated but to a certain extent. It is already hard enough to get a gun in this country and it filters out criminals who want to use it for harm. More regulations wil ultimatly look and take away from our second amendement right. 

• My family does own many firearms. Background checks are good for this because many people don’t purchase guns for hurting, they purchase them for safety. The only way most people are using guns to hurt people is for hunting. Banning guns will just make criminals buy them more honestly.

• My family owns firearms. I don't feel terrible about how guns are being sold, although there are still mass shootings happening. I think there should be more safety involving certain weapons. I think guns are very important, they can be used for sports, hunting, and safety.

• Yes. My family owns plenty of firearms and for good reason. You really never know when something is going to happen in your area or even in your house. You don't have to shoot a gun for it to be functional. It is a shield and can be used just to let people know you have it and that breaking into your house can have consiquences. Gun controll is alright the way it is but can be better. Like when buying guns there should just be more than just a backround check but if everybody had a firearm that was capable and mentally stable enough to own one than most shootings would have cut deaths down in half at the least. The cops take to long to respond to that kind of stuff and every second the cops take to respond is a second to long and another life could be gone by then.

• I think people should have guns because you don't know what could happen, so it's good to be prepared. I think there should be gun saftey classes because my dad's uncle was in a hunting accident from a person who wasn't gun safe, but I'm not scared to own a gun because of what happen, I'm just safe about it and they help protect you from any bad situations that could happen. We go hunting but we are safe about it and I think anyone who owns a gun or is planning on it should take a gun saftey class.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker