Fentanyl Poisoning

Over 150 people die everyday from overdoses to synthetic opioids like fentanyl. Pretty recently it has been brought to the attention of the media that fentanyl poisoning has become a big issue when it comes to overdosing.The CDC says that fentanyl poisoning is the fastest growing among 14-23 years old. That's right, 14 year old kids buy drugs off the street and die from fentanyl poisoning because most drug dealers don’t even know that their drugs are laced with fentanyl. 

There are a lot of drugs sold on the streets that are intentionally laced with fentanyl those drugs are c*caine, h*roin, m*th, and many other drugs that are not medically prescribed. Fentanyl is a very powerful and highly addictive opioid similar to morphine but about 50-100 times more potent. Most of the overdose deaths are in fact due to fentanyl poisoning. Last year the overdose rate was 1,286 a 22% increase from the total in 2021. The worst part of all is it is almost impossible to tell if drugs have been laced with fentanyl, unless you have testing strips that tell you if the drug has been laced.

I personally don't think that things like this are looked at enough in school or anywhere else on the internet or even in everyday life. Especially since there are so many teens dying everyday from fentanyl poisoning. I don’t know many people who have died from fentanyl poisoning but I know that it is a really big issue In the first 9 months of 2021 9.5 million counterfeit pills were seized by the DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) yet people still don’t seem to pay much attention to anything other than the elections and (respectfully) Queens Elisabeths death. I do see all of these are important but this is just as important and needs a lot more attention then it’s getting.

Sources

https://www.cdc.gov/ 

https://drugfree.org/ 

https://ncwrecovery.org/ 

Questions

Do you think that this is talked about enough?

What do you think about fentanyl poisoning?

Do you know anyone who has died from fentanyl poisoning?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice(and for bringing attention to a huge problem in our country) and well done Chloe!

• I don't think that this is talked about enough just because it has to do with drugs. I've never known or met anyone that has died due to fetanyl poisioning. As you said above its pretty much impossible to tell if drugs are laced with it and that's probobly why especially teens are dying, because they don't really know about that. 

• I don't think that this problem is being talked about enough. Too many people have died from fentanyl poisoning. I think it should be a bigger deal to the government and what not. I think they should try harder to spread the information. I think that fentanyl poisoning is terrible.

• I have never known or met anyone who has had fetanyl poisining. I think that it isnt talked enough throuhg teenagers so they dont do it because if it isnt educated to them now then they will think that it is ok to do it later in life. If they try to limit the acess to it there will still be people who will get it. 

• I've heard of it before, on the news and across social media and since we're nearing halloween I'm sure theres going to be some sickos out there trying to poison/kill kids with "rainbow candy" which is actually fentanyl disguised as little rainbow candies or "taffy" Parents should double check their kids candy or make sure to tell their kids to watch out for suspicious activity in the persons behavior or how the candy looks. I think it should be addressed on the news and in multiple schools, no matter what grade.

• I personally don't know any one that had or has died from this poisoning. I don't think think that this is talked about enough, stating that I never really have heard about this, before this post. Therefore, I overall think this should be talked about more on the internet, etc. because it's a problem. 

• Y agree it is a problem

• I don't know anyone who has had or has died from fentanyl poisoning. I did not know about any of this until I read your information. I am glad I know more about it now. I know it is getting higher and higher and even if we try to limit it and the access there are still people out there who will get ahold of it. I feel as people in school should be more educated about drugs and why not to do them but also how to identify them.

• I don't personally know anyone that has died from fentanyl poisoning. I think that it is not talked about enough considering this is the first time I have seen any information on this topic. I think that it seems to be a really big problem. This topic should be publicized more on the internet.

• I feel that teens getting their hands on drugs isnt brought up enough and with the risk of them overdosing on said drug they could also get drugs that are laced with fentanyl. i dont know any one who has died from fentanyl posioning but i feel its a serious issue that needs to be dealt with as soon as possible.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker