FDA puts a stop on "illegal" cancer treatments

The Food and Drug Administration is putting an end to products that claim to cure or prevent cancer. Once it was believed to be "cruel deception", the FDA sent out multiple warnings to over 10 companies that were selling the fraudulent products, such as creams, ointments, pills, etc.. The companies are required by law to either rid of the products or stop claiming to cure, diagnose, or prevent cancer. If the companies fail to do that, legal action will be taken. Most of the companies have decided to pull the products from the market, while some have deleted all advertising for the product. The reason they want to get rid of these products is because a person could end up relying on them and prevent them from seeking actual treatment.

Read story here

- If you were one of the companies, would you choose to stop selling the product, change advertising, or not do anything at all? Why?

- Does it make sense that the FDA would want to stop the companies? Explain.

---

Opinion:

I would choose to stop selling it because the products could be harmful to consumers. 

Yes, because the companies shouldn't falsely claim that they have any effect on cancer if they don't. It also keeps people from getting help for their cancer.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would maybe stop saying they prevent cancer. Because that could make people take it the wrong way so i feel that if they say that it prevents cancer which it cant then it is illegal to false advertises the medicine. I also think that whoever did or made the false advertisements needs to realize that they cant just do something like this. Yes, because one it is really rude to fool people like that.

• That's true, the companies should realize that they are in the wrong and hopefully won't repeat the same mistake again. The product could harm someone and it's not even worth the risk to keep the product on the shelves. 

• I would change the Advertising and description of what the product actually does ,because of the fact that if people are buying it from your companies that is  good business. I think that it makes sense the FDA ddi say something because its their job to regulate the drugs going out from companies and creating a consumer safe environment.

• I wouldn't want to sell them just in case they would hurt and even worse cause someone to get severally sick. Yes, because saying you can cure cancer isn't a joke and if it was a false claim that is messed up and people don't need to be going through more operations to something that doesn't even work.

• I would stop selling the product because it could be dangerous for people using the product. I think it does make sense because companies shouldn't claim their product is going to cure, diagnose, or prevent cancer. It may stop people from going and getting the medical care that they need.

• I would definetly stop selling the product or change my labels because I would not want to be sued unless I had real evidence that it cured cancer. I feel the FDA is doing the right thing by stoping these companies from lying to consumers. 

• I would probably stop selling the products because they could harm the people buying it. 

Yes, it makes perfect sense that they'd want to do this. Companies shouldn't be able to claim that they cure cancer and then it doesn't help making the consumer feel even worse.

• I would choose to stop selling the product because there could be harmful chemicals or "cancer preventing" ingredients that are actually hurting the customer. It's also not fair to lie to those who buy the product. Yes, it makes sense that the FDA wants to stop these companies because they want people with cancer to get real help and medical treatment, not some claimed cancer killing pills sold at a store or online.

• I would stop selling these, and i would really ask why we would have been selling them in the first place. I think that the FDA's decision makes a lot of sense, because I wouldn't want to waste my money on cheap products that don't do anything, I would want to use it to try to get help that actually works.

• I agree, it's ridiculous if the companies sold these false products just for the money. It could hurt someone and eventually fall back on the company causing more trouble for them. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker