Fast Fashion. It Needs to Stop.

What is fast fashion? Fast fashion is a quick and large production of cheap clothing, that is often thrown away because of the material, or the matter of not wanting it anymore. Which causes more and more build-up in landfills. Fast fashion businesses are often cruel to their workers as well. Workers are required to put in 14 to 16 hours per day, seven days a week, and have verbal and sometimes even physical abuse from managers. Over 200 million children aged 5-12 have to work these cruel hours as well. Workers are often exposed to harmful substances while working without enough ventilation. Accidents and injuries are also common. Most fast fashion companies pay their workers little to nothing, around 20 cents per day. Fast fashion is very common in the U.S. Brands such as Nike, Shein, Victoria's Secret, and many many more are all fast fashion brands. They are popular because prices are so cheap so they are often clothing buyers' first choice. Fast fashion is very problematic and needs to be changed. How can we stop it? Well, the first thing you can do is buy clothing from more sustainable brands, such as Levis, Patagonia, Athleta, etc. They may be more expensive, but they last longer and are better for the environment. If you don’t want to go that route and spend more money, a thrift store is an option, or you could help by donating your clothes to them as well. I personally think fast fashion needs to be stopped or become better for the environment and workers. What do you think?

Is fast fashion a problem?

Do the workers need to be paid more?

What are you going to do to help?

How should we stop clothes from being piled up in landfills?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, if you don't want your clothes anymore, or you need new ones but still have a cheap option, second hand is a nice thing to have available.

• After hearing all about shein and how young people buy so much of it, I think it should stop or atleast be solved. All of the brands of clothing that you wear everyday, have sweat shops over in other countries where little kids are working for almost no pay. And it's just so much clothing that most people will only where once. 

• I agree, a lot of the younger people buy from fast fashion stores because they don't have tons of money to spend on sustainable clothes. I think the younger generation should start buying from second-hand stores if they still want cheap good quality clothes, it would also help if we donated to them as well instead of just throwing clothes away.

• Fast fashion has been a very big problem in the 21st century, and it seems to only get worse. I think it is awful the conditions these people have to work in order to make money to survive, and it's brands like Nike who use this labor and up the price by over 200% and keep the profit. I prefer to thrift most of my clothes unless I can't find what I want in any of them.

• I agree, if these sweatshops want to stay in business, they need to quit being sweatshops. They need to have a law in those countries that make the working conditions better, or at least improves it.

• I think that fast dfashion is a problem for all the workers. I think the workers need to get paid more becsue it is like slavory for how little they are paing them. I think we should stop cloths from ending up in the landfills by donating them to Good Will.

• I agree, donating is a great option, I think engineers should also consider making a "gadget" that helps dispose of clothes without polluting the Earth.

• Yes, fast fashion is definetly a big problem right now that needs to be fixed. The workers need to be paid a lot more than what they're getting paid right now. I can stop shopping at places that use fast fashion. We can stop clothes from pilling up in landfills by wearing them more than a couple of times, and if you're throwing them away because of the quality then you could try getting better quallity clothes. 

• I like the idea of getting better quality clothes instead of getting cheap ones just to throw away, but if you still want to have cheaper sustainable clothes you could also buy from secondhand stores as well.

• Fast fashion is a big problem. The biggest problem is that people, teens especially, want cheaper clothes. They tend to go straight to stores like Shein, because they have a large variety of clothes, and they are very cheap. Personally, I try to stay away from fast fashion stores.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker