elephant is the new dinosaur

As we might all know Elephants represent Africa and that sense of freedom so who are we to take that away from them? Linyanti Swamp, Botswana is becoming the new favorite hang out spot for elephants hunters, in just 2 days you can find the bodies of 20 slaughtered elephants all along the dried riverbed. "From a distance it can be mistaken as a resting animal" says Mike Chase elephants ecologist and director/ founder of elephants without borders. Even though elephant poaching is very illegal but is still happening in some parts of the world and through the black market people that are interested in the sport could pay millions for elephants ivories which is very valuable, to decorate their homes or to just brag about it. " Elephant poaching isn't a sport but a cowardly crime" Chase says. The elephant population is well on it way to extinction considering that studies show that there was 10 millions elephants in the early 20th century but as we speak there are only 352,000 elephants left. This has raised so much awareness around the world and  countries are placing Army forces to protect natural resources but poachers don't always stay in one place and sometimes they are supported by local who provides them with food, water, or even shelter. This is the time were we have to have hope that this beautiful life form would still be around for future generations, just like one of the elephants that Mike Chase rescued and later on was named promise that elephant brings a little hope and a promise of a better future.   I am really optimistic that we will be able to find a way to stop elephant poaching and help the future of the elephant population but in order to do that we all have to come together.

Elephant ecologist Mike Chase examines an elephant whose face was hacked off by poachers in Botswana.

here is the link 

Question(s):

What do you think the locals should do to help stop the poaching of elephants?

Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the future of the elephants?why? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good story choice! Be sure to use paragraphs to better organize your information. Also, be sure to comment more frequently to student replies. You alos want to comment on three different days.

• I don't really know what the locals could really do to stop the poaching of elephants. At least they should not help the criminals by offering food, water and shelter. It's hard to control the illegal doing but the locals could try somehow tracking the criminals and then reporting them to the police etc. who deals with them. I want to be optimistic and I believe we can stop the illegal business if we just come up with a good prevent system.

• I don't know what the locals could do, because poaching is very dangerous and you wouldn't want innocent people to get involved into it.  I would really like for the elephants to live because they are such beautiful animals, but in today's world I don't think that will happen.  

• I also really hope that elephants don't die out. They are very beautiful, sweet, and I'm sure it would surprise most people to know just how sentient they actually are. But I have a question. When you say there are only 352,000 elephants left, do you mean only in the wild, or does that include elephants in captivity? Either way, that's way too low of a number, especially compared to how many there were about 100 years ago.

• I don't think that we can do much to stop the locals from supporting them other than completely isolating all the elephants. I am optimistic about it, I think that hopefully, someday down the road the elephant poaching will end and the beautiful animals will no longer be extinct.

• I don't think that there is a lot you can do about poaching without completely invading the animals' world. I think maybe they can just get a group of people who monitor them from a distance and keep them safe, but that still wouldn't make it very easy.

• It makes me sad that the last resort for some locals is to safely and humanely cut off the elephants' tusks. I know the poachers are less likely to kill them when they don't have tusks, but it is really sad to think of elephants' natural ways of life interrupted by awful people. I am afraid for elephants because they are continuously poached and murdered for selfish reasons. I am tired of heading about this kind of animal cruelty, but maybe as the word gets out more will be done to save the gentle giants.

• I think the locals should help watch over them more. And stand up from them. Instead of just letting them get killed and poached. 

• I think the locals should watch the animals more and look out for poachers. I am pessimistic because it is hard to catch poachers. 

• I think the locals should try to keep watch over the elephants more. I am pessimistic because we haven't found a way to stop them yet and until we do I don't think I will be optimistic.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker