Drug addicts: Do they need help or punishment?

Addiction is a brain disease. Repeatedly taking drugs or alcohol can cause your brain to change. Addiction is a progressive disease if not treated the addiction will just get worse. Causing them to be irritable, sudden weight loss, slurred speech, and small or enlarged pupils. People who are arrested for drug related crimes get at least 10 years of incarceration. They still have access to drugs in prison if they want them badly enough.  

I believe that addiction should be treated instead of punished. Nobody should have their parent, guardian, or child taken away because of a brain disorder. I know what some of you are going to say, “it was their choice”, “they made the choice to do it”. It’s not that simple drugs and alcohol are an addiction, it may start out with someone choosing to do them. Over time if they keep using them they can get addicted to it in less than a week. Once they decide that it's not good for them and need to stop they will try but it will not always work that way. 

What do you think should drug addicts be treated or punished?

If they should be treated, why?

If they should be punished, why?

https://www.pyramid-healthcare.com/addiction-treatment-or-punishment-which-works-best-long-term/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes and as you know i know first hand how hard it is to get help. I lived in a house full of them until most of them desided that they wanted to get help for their friends and family. 

• I think that they should be punished but at the same time they should be helping them. They should be treated because some people might not wanna die and wait for there punisment to get done because they would still be alive when they get done. They should get punished because it was their choice to do it and they got themselves to where they are.

• I think drug addicts should be helped not punsihed becasue punishment may cause them to want to do it more. Treating it may cause them to want to change their life around and keep the new lifestyle unlike punishing and thinking its okay.

• I think that they should have a chance to get better and help with their addiciton. I know that for some people getting help or trying to not be addicted anymore is really hard and they often give up. So, I think they should be treated. 

• Yes and most people dont understand that drugs are an addiction people cant just stop using them. It's a lot harder then that so yes they should be treated not punnished.

• I think people who use a substance should be able to get the help they need. Being addictied to a drug is very hard to get off a d some people do not understand. They should be treated because everyone deserves a second chance at life. 

• Yes they 100% should get a second chance Like if your parents a rich and you get arrested for drugs you will get out within hours. But if you are poor and dont have that kind of money you could go to jail for something you say got framed for. 

• My opinion is that drug addicts should have a chance to get help but after that i think that they should be put into a rehab enforced by law. But some drug addicts say they don’t want help, but what about people who are addicted to caffeine or sweets? Should they be punished for liking something?

• I think drug addictes should be treated multiple times until they cross the line of going back into reheab for a 3rd time. Then its a big game changer, that is when they would need to be punished for waisting the rehab facillaty time and money. So I think they should be both treated and punished.

• I do beleive they should be treated multiple times before they go to prisson. If they dont get the help they need and use the resorses they are given then i think yeah its their falt and they have to pay the money back for the rehab they did. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker