Does class size affect productivity?

There is a debate between teachers and students whether productivity increases or decreases depending on the number of students in a class. 9 in 10 teachers agree that smaller class sizes are more effective than bigger size ones. According to research, students perform better in smaller classes. The most famous study of class size reduction took place in Tennessee in 1985. They decided to reduce the amount of students from kindergarten through third grade. It resulted that students in classes from 13 to 17 students surpassed scores compared to classes from 22 to 25 students. 

Some benefits of small class sizes are: greater classroom engagement, higher attendance, less distractions and it can allow teachers to give a more individual and personalized attention. Smaller classes also help students build more confidence and friendshipness with other children in the class as interaction is easier between them.

Some cons about smaller classes are: the children do not learn how to interact with a larger group of people. When doing presentations, most students show they are confident to do it in a smaller group but when having to deal with a bigger class all their confidence is lost. This could have a negative effect in the future when having to interact with large groups of people. 

I believe that class size can affect students' productivity and effectiveness. Having less people in a class can increase effectiveness and make students more engaged. However, I think there should be any day of the week where classes enlarge their number so students can learn how to deal with bigger size groups of people and interact with more people. 

Do you think smaller classes are more effective?

Do you think parents should get to choose if they want a bigger or smaller class for their children?

Sources:

https://www.chalkbeat.org/2022/6/10/23162544/class-size-research#:~:text=Research%20suggests%20that%20students%20perform%20better%20in%20smaller%20classes.&text=There's%20little%20debate%20among%20teachers,would%20strongly%20boost%20student%20learning.

https://ncte.org/statement/why-class-size-matters/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you. The smaller the classes are, the easier to get work done and the more productive they are.

• I think smaller classes are more effective because most people, including myself, are more comfortable in them. In smaller classes, more introverted people can join in class discusions easier, give better presentations, and they have to talk people that aren't just their friends.

• I agree with you. There is many people that feel more comfortable in smaller classes and people tend to be more extrovert.

• I like to think it does, because if you have a big class where the teacher has to go around and help everyone, then not everyone will be helped. There are just too many people who don't understand each concept as well as others and will need more help. 

• I believe it helps, both students and teachers. It would help have a better class environment.

• I personally think smaller classes are more productive and get more work done. In a bigger class there are more distractions, more people to talk to, many different personalities. I don't think this should be up to the parents to decide because everyone would choose the smaller class option.

• I also believe that smaller classes are more productive and help get more work done.

• I think smaller classes are better then bigger classes. BIgger classes are more of a chance to mess around, talk, and somethimes gets students roudy. I gave been in some smaller classes and i get way more stuff done and I pay attention better because of less distractions. Not to mention its better for a person like me to be isolated because I do better normaly by myself so if there is less people I don't have to worry as much. 

• I believe that smaller class sizes are easier for teachers to handle and more productive.

• I think the smaller the class, the more things can get done. if you have less students in a class, that means less distractions. if you have a larger class, there is going to be more opportunities to mess around and talk. smaller classes can definetely get more done. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker