Does class size affect productivity?

There is a debate between teachers and students whether productivity increases or decreases depending on the number of students in a class. 9 in 10 teachers agree that smaller class sizes are more effective than bigger size ones. According to research, students perform better in smaller classes. The most famous study of class size reduction took place in Tennessee in 1985. They decided to reduce the amount of students from kindergarten through third grade. It resulted that students in classes from 13 to 17 students surpassed scores compared to classes from 22 to 25 students. 

Some benefits of small class sizes are: greater classroom engagement, higher attendance, less distractions and it can allow teachers to give a more individual and personalized attention. Smaller classes also help students build more confidence and friendshipness with other children in the class as interaction is easier between them.

Some cons about smaller classes are: the children do not learn how to interact with a larger group of people. When doing presentations, most students show they are confident to do it in a smaller group but when having to deal with a bigger class all their confidence is lost. This could have a negative effect in the future when having to interact with large groups of people. 

I believe that class size can affect students' productivity and effectiveness. Having less people in a class can increase effectiveness and make students more engaged. However, I think there should be any day of the week where classes enlarge their number so students can learn how to deal with bigger size groups of people and interact with more people. 

Do you think smaller classes are more effective?

Do you think parents should get to choose if they want a bigger or smaller class for their children?

Sources:

https://www.chalkbeat.org/2022/6/10/23162544/class-size-research#:~:text=Research%20suggests%20that%20students%20perform%20better%20in%20smaller%20classes.&text=There's%20little%20debate%20among%20teachers,would%20strongly%20boost%20student%20learning.

https://ncte.org/statement/why-class-size-matters/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I completely agree. Smaller clases are normally easier for teachers to handle and would end up being more productive.

• I think based on the evidence and arguments you have presented, that having smaller classes would in general be beneficial to the teacher and the students happiness. I think that it could work if parents chose if the classes were bigger or smaller, but I don't see the point in it. Ultimately the teachers and students should choose what's best to do. 

• I completely agree with you. Smaller classes generally help get more work done and make it easier for teachers to teach in.

• I agree. I'm sure a large class size switching to a small class size (and vice versa) would be difficult enough. So having some students to large and some small would not be feasible I think. Would they fire and re-hire teachers some years based on how many classes they need? It doesn't seem efficient or helpful.

• I think smaller classes can be more effective because there are less distractions around the room, and the teacher could go around and help more kids because the teacher has less to worry about. I don't think that parents should get to choose because then some other kids could be left out of a class. 

• I agree that smaller classes are more willing to be effective.

• I think smaller clases are more affective. It gives more chance for kids to be able to have one-on-one time with the teacher. Parents would only get the choice of what school kids get to go to. Church based schools have smaller classes because of the amount of people who are able to pay tuition.

• I agree with you. Smaller classes are normally more effective and productive than bigger ones.

• I agree, it does give more time for teachers to individually help each student more which could benefit the students learning a lot. With more one-on-one time, there is more chance for students to ask questions and be answered. In general it puts less stress on the teacher to help each student and it benefits the student greatly. 

• I agree that it helps with people's concentration and effectiviness.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker