Do curfews keep teenagers out of trouble?

I believe that curfews keep some teenagers out of trouble. Statistics show that kids who have a curfew are less likely to get in trouble with law enforcement and their parents. Most cities have a curfew in their town, this can benefit the town but most parents believe having their own curfew set for their child is more beneficial. This leaves the child with a responsibility to get home before the curfew or they will be punished by their parents. While curfews can keep kids out of trouble many people believe that they don't fully prevent crimes from being committed at late hours. 

Other statistics state only 15% of crimes committed by younger students happen after 10 pm. But even if the government were to set a curfew they wouldn't be able to keep every kid out of trouble. I think setting a curfew from your parents would be way more effective than it being over a whole town or state.

Some kids will also see the curfew as a challenge and want to stay out late just to break the law. Which would start even more trouble. Most crimes committed are from kids that go driving around all night and never go home. Most kids that do this lie to their parents about where they are going so their parents don’t know they're staying out all night. Even now kids stay out later than their curfew and still never get caught.  

Do you think curfews should be later? 

Do you think they should just not have curfews? Drivers Are Freaking Out - Guide to Painless Police Stops

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that curfews are good because it keeps kids from ripping down the roads at all hours of the night. I do think that it should be later than it is now but I can see why they have where they do. If kids are getting home late than it causes them to speed so that they don't get caught past curfew. I think it is good but it should be extended. 

• I agree, a cerfew keeps kids out of trouble who like to tear up the roads, but it should be later.

• I think curfews need to be here if kids did not have curfews and they would be to many kids running around at night and more trouble would be caused. If they had no curfews I think the kidnapping rate would go up and many people may go missing.

• I think that curfews are a good way to keep kids out of trouble, however you could run into the problem of kids speeding home to be home ontime. there may not be crimes committed but the problem could be less sleep and worce grades or other things like this.

• i agree

• I think that if curfews are later then kids won't want to go out and do the "crazy" things and get in trouble. Sometimes we are just at a friends house not doing anything bad. Maybe instead of no curfews or curfews late it should depend on what your doing the next day or what you are doing at the late hours.

• i agree, i think we have more fun at night tho bc kids like to stay up late and what not but sometimes those things can get us in trouble

• This reply was deleted.
    • i agree, and some kids dont even stay to their 1230 curfew

• I think that curfews are both good and bad. I think for a city curfew it should be later, like aorund 1am. For home curfews parents should be able to choose what time their kid needs to be home. I think we should have curfews so there aren't many people out at 4am doing whatever they want.

• I agree some parents are more strict

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker