On January 14, 2020, a Delta airplane dropped fuel onto an elementary school. The plane departed from LAX airport on its way to Shanghai. However, it had to make a turn around after take off, due to engine issues. Delta stated that the regular procedure was to empty some of the fuel to land safely. When the plane released some of its fuel, some of the fuel was dropped on to a local elementary school. Firefighters were called onto the scene to help over 60 patients, 20 of them students. 20 adults and 11 children had minor injuries. The intense fumes could be smelled for miles. Procedure says that the fuel should be dumped 10,000 feet in the air and overwater. But, this was not the case and many children and adults were injured.

• Do you think the pilot should be punished? 

I do think that the pilot should be punished in some way. I don’t think something like being put in jail would be right. But if he does get fined for going off of procedure, it would be more adequate. Also, getting his licence taken away or be put off of flying for a while.

• Do you believe that parents should be able to sue the airline company? 

I do believe that parents should get something back from the airlines. I think it would give parents relief to what has happened to their kids. Some of the children do have minor injuries and are currently in hospitals, and some parents may have the right to sue. 

If you want to learn more, click here! 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great job Grace!

• I think that the piolt should be punished in some way because he should know that he is not supposed to drop fuel over a residential area like that and because many people got injured because of that insident. I think they should be able to sue because depending on how bad the injuries were on the kids it could cost a lot for them to pay for the medical bills all because someone didnt dispose of fuel properly

• I agree with your comment, the pilot should be punished for his actions. He should have not dropped the fuel over a populated area full of citizens. This could have injured made through his careless mistake. I also agree that the parents should have be able to sue depending on how bad the injuries were on the kids. 

• I think that the pilot should be fined or have his pilot licensed stripped because he had no reason to dump the fuel around an area where children are being kept. I think it is up to the parents if they want to sue, I think they have a good reason too and have a good chance of getting it if there child was harmed.

• I agree with you Brody, the airline pilot should have his licence taken away. I believe that he should not have it taken away forever but maybe a year or two. I also agree that the parents should be able to sue the airline due to any harm to their child. He did not have a reason to dump the fuel over a populated area. 

• yes I think the pilot should be punished  because he should know the proper protocal for dumping fuel. The parents and other people injured are able to sue the airline company because one of their pilots that they employed caused people to get hurt therefor making them responsible.

• I agree with your comment. I believe that the airline pilot should face some sort of punishment. Even though he may have not known that it was on a elemetary school, he knew that he was going to drop it onto someplace.  I also agree that parents should be able to sue the airline company for anything done to thier child. 

• I think that the pilot should be punished, but mostly for not being fully aware of where he was dumping the fuel at. An elementary school is one of the worst places he could've done it, and he should have been thinking ahead. He should have been more prepared, so I feel as though some minor punishment would serve him well. Obviously, he can't control the engine issues, but he should have taken all safety precautions that were possible into account. I think that parents should be able to sue the airline for the danger that their children were placed in. If I were a parent, I would want my child to be safe no matter where they're at. 

• I agree with you Ellie, the pilot should face some sort of punishment. Also, an elementary school is one of the worst places that the fuel could have been dumped on. The parents should have the right to sue because they were putting their child in danger. If I were a parent, I would also want my child to be safe. 

• On my opinion it has to be punished definitely because if we dont do reac quickly people will think that none cares and will become less responsibble and it can have negative results. If i would be the parent i wuold demands punishment and sue fro this airline company. This is our responsibility to punish people for being unthoughtful. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker