Delaware Prison Siege

On Thursday, February 2, an 18 hour siege at Delawares maximum security prison occurred. Inmates in building C held the facility from approximately 10:30 AM on Wednesday until early morning Thursday.  Inmates stopped emergency teams from entering by building a wall at the entrance of the prison. Urgent to access the hostages inside, first responder's to the situation had to bring in a backhoe to knock down the wall and enter the prison. Upon entering the prison, officials found a female counselor of the facility unharmed. They also found 16 year veteran, Sgt. Steven Floyd deceased inside the prison. Unsure of his death, his body has been sent to the state division of forensic science for an autopsy. The Governor of Delaware, John Carney assured people that a full investigation will occur to determine the cause of the incident and to prevent from something like from happening again.

1. What would you do at this prison to prevent another incident like this one from occurring?
  2. If you were an inmate, would you attempt another escape like this? Why or why not?

Read more here

My opinion: If I was in charge of this prison, I would analyze the causes of the siege and make the smartest actions to ensure the safety of facility staff and inmates. I would certainly not attempt another escape. After the failed one, the security would be upped and it would make things way more difficult for the inmates to escape. If it failed, your sentence may be extended so it would not be worth it to me. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I am not certain as to how many. From what I know it involved all the inmates in building C of the prison. I also agree with you Ethan, if this is a prison you would think that there would be cameras throughout.

• I would probably find out what happened for sure and then i would get more security help or look at my employees and decide if they are the problem

If i was an inmate i guess i would probably try it because its not like they have much better to do anyways

• I would make it so that there was more security and install some kind of alarm system with the ability to have helicopters and police at the prison within seconds. I'm not sure how the inmates escaped but I think it would be even harder for them to escape by making sure that they aren't able to converse with each other. I wouldn't attempt another escape. There is so much technology today that would practically ensure my capturing. 

• I agree with you Lindsey, with all the new technology today, it would be a lot easier to stop an escape and even capture inmates if the did manage to escape. Keeping the inmates separated would be a good idea too.

• i would beef up security and arm the gards better. and asses exactly what happened and take the best possible actions towards keeping the people that work there and the inmates that are passive save from the violent ones. i would not every try again. firstly because they rearly work and second of all i could very easily die because of it.

• I would have set up a security heavy Doors system, to reinforce the areas that are under control. The door would lock automatically, and the people who would be breaking out are locking in a certain area. I wouldn't try to escape, because they would come after you if you did escape, and you would be sentenced for longer.

• Having heavy duty security doors in the prison so that if they got out of control would really help the staff keep order inside the prison. That is a great idea for prisons, Jack.

• I would up security and pay more attention to the inmates to make sure they weren't planning something. If I was an inmate, and a terrible person who wanted to get out so I could do more bad stuff, yes I'm sure I would try it again.

• In my opinion more security should be added the security should also be better trained and equipped to deal with those situations. If i was an trying to escape wouldn't be worth it the chance of being killed or caught would be to high.   

• The more the security, the better the control they will have over the inmates. I agree, there should and probably be more security after a stunt like this. Better technology and equipment will really help also.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker