Death penalty

The practice of the death penalty contradicts the right to life and the right not to be subjected to torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading punishment or treatment. Consensus is growing regarding the universal abolition of the death penalty. Some 111 countries have abolished or introduced a moratorium on the death penalty in law or practice. By 2021, in the United States, according to the Death Penalty Information Center, a total of 27 states contemplated this type of punishment: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, South Carolina, North Carolina, South Dakota , Florida, and 19 others.

Crimes punishable by death penalty (considered in state legislation): Homicide, both people who killed their victim directly or indirectly (that is, they hired someone), rape, or trafficking large quantities of drugs, plane hijacking or in others, betrayal is also taken into account.

Some reasons to abolish the death penalty: It is irreversible and mistakes are made, it is usually used in unbiased justice systems, it does not deter crime, it is used as a political tool, it is discriminatory.

In addition to the consequences it has on people suffering from mental disorders, capital punishment has extremely worrying repercussions on the mental health of convicted people, their families and even their lawyers.

Most common methods of execution: beheading, hanging, lethal injection and death by firearm. 

Some arguments in favor of the death penalty mention that society has always used punishment to deter potential criminals from carrying out illegal actions. They also state that if some studies on deterrence are inconclusive, it is only because the death penalty death almost does not take place.

Questions:

Do you agree with the death penalty? Why yes or why not?

If a person with mental problems were sentenced to death, would you agree? Why yes or why not? 

Source 1 

Source 2

Source 3 

Source 4

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not think that the death penalty should be there. People should not be able to make the decision of whether another person gets to live or die. There can be other things that you can do instead of killing the person. People can change, not all, but some could, killing them is not the best choice.

• I feel like the death penalty depends on what the person did. I think that even if they do have some mental illness that they probably should have the same punishment.

• I agree with the death penalty because in some situations the person that commited the crime can't be held and jail time won't do them any good. I think that people with mental health problems are subject to the same penalties as someone without.

• I agree with the death penatly mostly because if people do very bad things then they deserve to be killed. Some of the rules of the death penalty may be a little bit weird. I still think that people with mental problems should be killed because if they kill someone they deserve to be killed.

• I agree with the death penalty in some cases because I thnk that some of the things of the death penalty is a little weird. I thnk that people with mental problems should still because they could have done something really bad lie kill some people.

• I agree with the death penalty because it is used to get rid of people who are ruthless killers and who can't be helped. I think I would agree with their death sentence because if they can't be helped then we shouldn't even try. But only if they have done something super bad such as becoming a serial killer and other really bad things.

• I agree with the death penalty but there should be heavy investigation and evidence before it is decided. I think it doesnt matter if they have mental health problems because if your getting the death penalty the crime had to have been terrible and that even if you have mental problems you still shouldn't do that.

• I think the death penalty is okay in certain situations, I think it should be used but taken away if it starts to get overused. I think if someone has mental problems but does something that deserves the death penalty than they should still get it.

• I think that a death penalty is ok if it only gets used for murder or other cases like that that have killed someone on purpose. if a persan got sentanced to death with mental health it would be a harder case and tougher to settle, they shoudl have gone to a therapist first. 

• Yes, i think there should be more health penalty sentences. I belive their should be more death penalty sentences because I think it will teach the criminals that are doing bad that they are going to die if they do it again and not just of to jail.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker