Death penalty

The practice of the death penalty contradicts the right to life and the right not to be subjected to torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading punishment or treatment. Consensus is growing regarding the universal abolition of the death penalty. Some 111 countries have abolished or introduced a moratorium on the death penalty in law or practice. By 2021, in the United States, according to the Death Penalty Information Center, a total of 27 states contemplated this type of punishment: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, South Carolina, North Carolina, South Dakota , Florida, and 19 others.

Crimes punishable by death penalty (considered in state legislation): Homicide, both people who killed their victim directly or indirectly (that is, they hired someone), rape, or trafficking large quantities of drugs, plane hijacking or in others, betrayal is also taken into account.

Some reasons to abolish the death penalty: It is irreversible and mistakes are made, it is usually used in unbiased justice systems, it does not deter crime, it is used as a political tool, it is discriminatory.

In addition to the consequences it has on people suffering from mental disorders, capital punishment has extremely worrying repercussions on the mental health of convicted people, their families and even their lawyers.

Most common methods of execution: beheading, hanging, lethal injection and death by firearm. 

Some arguments in favor of the death penalty mention that society has always used punishment to deter potential criminals from carrying out illegal actions. They also state that if some studies on deterrence are inconclusive, it is only because the death penalty death almost does not take place.

Questions:

Do you agree with the death penalty? Why yes or why not?

If a person with mental problems were sentenced to death, would you agree? Why yes or why not? 

Source 1 

Source 2

Source 3 

Source 4

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that in some cases, for example, sexually assault cases or even mass murders, it is absoutely neccessary and should be used. However, I think it gives them an easy way out, which I don't agree with. I think that everyone should be held responsible, regardless of their mental illnesses.

• I don't agree with death pentalty. IT's kinda awful on people getting killed on what they did something bad. Jail is a safer way for people who did something bad. They need therapy if they have any mental illnesses.

• No, I don't agree with the death penatlys. I think that if you did something that bad you should have to live with the same in jail. But also what if you put the innocent person on the death penalty later you couldnt change it but if they were just in jail you could. No, they would need to get the help they need insteed of just being thrown away.

• I don't know if I agree with it. I feel like people should be imprisoned no matter what. I think revenge is not good to have in our minds and they'll only do harm. I believe people should be forgiven no matter what they do, but it's hard to think that way when you're in the situation.

• I think it depends on the case. If the case is super bad then yes I think the person should get sentenced to death. I think if a person has mental problems they shouldn't be sentenced to death, they should be provided with the help they need to get better. 

• Yes, I think that the person should really be controlled by his illness to commit those acts so I don't think he is capable of understanding so he should receive help.

• In some cases, I think wow maybe the person does deserve it but it shouldn't be or will if the person dies cause of their actions. So in other words I disagree cause nothing can be so bad that we can't forgive. I think that if the person is not okay mentally then no they deserve justice.

• I think that the death penalty is a good thing and is should be in all states I think that if you murrder another peorson with not good reason then you should be sentenced to death. I think that if the person has mental problems and goes and kills someone they should still be held acountable.

• I think you should give them the dealth penlaty only if you are proven guilty with evidence and if the crime is very extreme. I think people with mental health problems should go to a mental health institute because they need help and they need the help they can get.

• Yes, I think I also think that people with mental problems should go to get help first somewhere.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker