Death penalty

The practice of the death penalty contradicts the right to life and the right not to be subjected to torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading punishment or treatment. Consensus is growing regarding the universal abolition of the death penalty. Some 111 countries have abolished or introduced a moratorium on the death penalty in law or practice. By 2021, in the United States, according to the Death Penalty Information Center, a total of 27 states contemplated this type of punishment: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, South Carolina, North Carolina, South Dakota , Florida, and 19 others.

Crimes punishable by death penalty (considered in state legislation): Homicide, both people who killed their victim directly or indirectly (that is, they hired someone), rape, or trafficking large quantities of drugs, plane hijacking or in others, betrayal is also taken into account.

Some reasons to abolish the death penalty: It is irreversible and mistakes are made, it is usually used in unbiased justice systems, it does not deter crime, it is used as a political tool, it is discriminatory.

In addition to the consequences it has on people suffering from mental disorders, capital punishment has extremely worrying repercussions on the mental health of convicted people, their families and even their lawyers.

Most common methods of execution: beheading, hanging, lethal injection and death by firearm. 

Some arguments in favor of the death penalty mention that society has always used punishment to deter potential criminals from carrying out illegal actions. They also state that if some studies on deterrence are inconclusive, it is only because the death penalty death almost does not take place.

Questions:

Do you agree with the death penalty? Why yes or why not?

If a person with mental problems were sentenced to death, would you agree? Why yes or why not? 

Source 1 

Source 2

Source 3 

Source 4

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't agree with the death penalty unless the crimes are extreme and there is no doubt that the person was not wrongfully accused. If a person with mental problems got sentenced to death, I wouldn't agree. I think they would need serious help and possibly life in prison.

• I feel like the situations in which the death penalty should be used are very limited. You can't kill someone just because they did, that makes you just as bad. I think a life sentence should be given instead of the death penalty, or they could be given the option. Death row can take a long time so it's basically like a life sentence.

• Exactly, I think it is the last option and it could leave the person who condemns it in a bad position if they make a mistake.

• I agree with death penalty if it fits the crime done and if the family wants it to be done aswell. Even if the person has mental problems, if the crime they did deserves the death penalty then yes I think they should get the penalty or get help from a doctor.

• I think it depends on what you did but yes. I think it depends on what their mental problem is.

• If the death penalty fits the crime, than yes. Even if they have mental problems and deserve the death penalty, that meens they were and still are dangerous.

• I agree with the death penalty in certain scenarios but not all of them because I do think that some of the scenarios aren't reasonable. Again it depends on their situation and how bad their mental problems are as depending on the scenario it could be a small mental illeness.

• I agree, I suppose they would first see the severity of his illness and then make the decision to avoid making a mistake.

• I agree with the death penalty because it keeps our family and friends safe from dangerous people and whatnot. I would either agree or disagree if the court thinks that on what they did to deserve the death penalty.

• I do not agree with the death penalty while I do think that they should be severely punished for killing someone. I do not think that we need to take a life for a life. In my opinion, it is up to God when our time comes to leave Earth.  By having the death penalty we as humans are deciding that for the person.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker