Daylight Saving Time: is it Necessary

Daylight saving time is the process of moving the time forward one hour on the second Sunday of March. Then, nearly eight months later, on the first Sunday of November, the time is set back an hour. This process has always been used to get more use out of natural sunlight each day, however, its history is quite complex. Summarily, Benjamin Franklin suggested this practice in 1784 to limit the usage of candles. Daylight saving time became more popular during World War I to save fuel, eventually spreading throughout the world.

There are many advantages to daylight saving time. One of the greatest advantages is the environmental benefit which has many contributing factors. Firstly, daylight saving time extends evening daylight, consequently, less electricity is used for light. Another benefit is a lower rate of car accidents due to sunlight during later hours of the day. Lastly, because of daylight saving time, people are more active in the evening which allows for more spending. Overall, setting clocks back and forward one hour helps our world in many ways which are often overlooked when viewed at face value.

Daylight saving time also has many disadvantages which should be considered. The first and most obvious is a lack of sleep as individuals adjust to new schedules. A difference of one hour can initially create difficulties falling asleep and waking up which is quite inconvenient. This inconvenience is also relevant for certain industries, especially those who work outdoors. To summarize, daylight saving creates disadvantages that are not extreme, yet they affect almost everyone.

Many contrasting factors make it difficult to decide whether we should have daylight saving time. I believe we should continue to implement this practice in our lives for numerous reasons. The first of which is the severity of the advantages. For example, daylight saving time prevents car accidents which saves lives. The final reason I support daylight saving time is the difficulty of removing a practice which has lasted for so long.

Do you think daylight saving time is necessary?

Should we continue to use daylight saving time?

What other problems does daylight saving time create?

https://www.colorado.edu/coloradan/2022/11/07/history-daylight-saving-time 

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/circadian-rhythm/daylight-saving-time#:~:text=However%2C%20experts%20suggest%20that%20long,ends%20and%20Standard%20Time%20begins.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't really think we need daylight saving I think it just messes with people sleeping and takes awhile to get use to. I think we should just stay at the normally time and not daylight saving time.

• No, I dont think daylight savings time is necessary. I think we shouldn't keep doing daylight savings time. I think everyone would like it if there was more daylight at night than in the morning because everyone likes going home in the daylight.

• I think daylight saving is fine overall. I like it in some ways but it does take some time to adjust with my sleep schedule. However, I get used to it after a few days so it's not a horrible deal for me. 

• My sleep schedule is also affected by daylight saving time, and that is one of the most obvious disadvantages of the practice. As you said, sleep schedules return to normal quite quickly, therefore, I do not believe this is a good reason to abolish daylight saving time.

• I think that daylight savings time should be used if it continues to help out the economy and purchases made by the countries that use daylight savings time. If we save fuel and other recources by doing this, there is no reason not to participate even though it can be annoying. 

• I don't think that daylight savings is necessary. personally, it makes my routine all wack and takes people a long time to get back into a routine or used to a new routine. I think that the most damage it does is to everyone's sleep schedules. It's only an hour but that hour does a lot for us. 

• I do agree that daylight saving time largly affects sleep schedules, but this change seems to go back to normal quite quickly for me. I believe that if the benefits of daylight saving time outweigh this effect, we should continue to use it despite the disadvantages.

• I don't think that daylight savings time is necessary anymore because farmers and agriculture workers all around the world have lights to be able to see. I don't think that we should continue to use daylight savings time. I think that daylight savings time is just a waste and its annoying having to change your sleeping schedules.

• I do agree with the idea that modern technology is eliminating a need for this practice, however, there is data to support daylight saving time. I think the significance of this data determines if we should continue to use daylight saving time.

• I dont think my life would change a lot or at all if there wasnt daylight savings time so I personally dont really think its necassary to have it, however I think we should keep using it because we have used it for so long already even though it can play a role in your sleeping pattern. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker