Contact Lenses

What are contact lenses? Contact lenses are a thin lens that you place on your eye and it allows you to see. Over 177 million people in America need some sort of corrective lenses to help them see clearly. Most people start out by wearing glasses.You can just wear them and you only see through the lenses. I wore glasses for many years. They were big, heavy, and gave me really bad headaches. Other people use contact lenses to see. They are tiny, and you see so much more. During the summer, before my freshman year, I decided to try out contact lenses. They were not very easy to put in. When I finally got it, they have changed my life!

Contact lenses were first invented in 1936. William Feinbloom made one of the first versions on contact lenses, hard contacts. They were made of plastic and glass. The first soft contact lens was invented in 1960. I use soft contact lenses and they feel very comfortable, and they only last around one month. I don’t even feel them in my eye. Hard contact lenses are very painful, but they can last years. 

Contacts are very different with each person. Some people have bigger eyes, some people have a really high prescription. If you are interested in contact lenses, your eye doctor has to measure the size and shape of your eye. Then they order your contacts with your specific needs. Then the manufacturer company designs a contact lens that fits your prescription and size.Then they choose the right lens for your prescription for example, soft contacts or hard contacts. Next, they mold and melt the contact lens into the right size for your eye. Then they cut the lens, and smooth around the contact lens. Before the contact lenses are ready, they go through an inspection to make sure that they are 100% safe. Finally, they are package and deliver to your eye doctor. 

It is important to take care of your contact lenses. The health of your eye is really important. There are a few certain steps people need to take to put them in correctly and safely. First, wash you hands and dry them. Second, grab your contact from the contact case, make sure that it is not inside out. It should look like a bowl. Next, put the contact lens on your finger and place it on your eye. In the beginning its really hard to get them in because your eyeball blinks a lot and its easy to drop the contact lens. With lots of practice and patience, you can get your contact lenses in. Taking them out is the easiest part. Just pinch the contact our of your eye and put it back in the contact case with new solution. 

Contact lenses can be another alternative for glasses. I love wearing my contacts and they have changed my life. If you are considering trying contact lenses, just try it! You can always just wear your glasses if it doesn’t work out. 

Do you wear contact lenses? 

Would you ever wear contact lenses if you need corrective lenses?

What is your opinion on contact lenses?

Sources:

https://www.joslineyecenter.com/how-contact-lenses-are-made/ 

https://www.acuvue.com/get-contacts/how-to-get-contacts#:~:text=At%20the%20office%2C%20 

the%20doctor,free%20trial%20lenses*%20to%20start

https://www.allaboutvision.com/contacts/faq/when-invented.htm#:~:text=Some%20reports%20say%20German%20glassblower,correct%20vision%20problems%20in%201888

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not wear contact lenses because I am lucky enough to have good eyesight naturally. Although I don't wear them, I do think they are a good idea. If my eyesight was worse, I would prefer to wear contacts instead of glasses. I feel like glasses could become annoying very quickly.

• I do not have to wear contact lenses because my eyes are good enough I do not need any. If I had to wear glasses I would get contacts to wear instead. I think contact lenses are a pretty good idea just that they should make them last longer.

• Contact lenses are one of the best inventions ever. They are sooo nice. Luckily we live where contacts are totally new so they are much safer then along time ago.

• I do wear contacts, they are pretty nice, although I wish there was an easier way to get them in. But they are nice if you don't wan to wear glasses anymore.

• It takes some time getting used to putting them in. I can take my contacts out without a mirror and also put them without a mirror. 

• I dont wear contact lenses but I have contacts. I don't think I will wear my contacts because they don't do very mutch with my vision and I think they are a waste of time for me to take in and out every night. I think contact lenses are good for people that need them.

• Contacts are so uncomfortable when I get dust in my eyes. My vision is really bad I can't do anything without my glasses or contacts. If your vision isn't that bad then you can survive without your contacts.

• I do not wear contact lenses because I don't even wear my glasses unless I drive in the dark. I don't think that I would wear contact lenses because it is kind of scary sticking something in your eye, especially since I barely need my glasses.

• I was super scared of touching my eye and when I first started wearing contacts. My eye kept blinking and i couldn't get them in. It took a lot of patience and practice. 

• I have glasses that I hate wearing, but I doubt I will ever try contacts. I can't even use eye drops. Trying to put something on my eye probably won't work well. I can see why a lot of people prefer contacts, but glasses are just easier.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker