Can organic farming be sustainable

As a person who has been in agriculture my whole life, having seen attempts on our farm to farm organically, I know there are not enough benefits to even consider it. The whole point of GMOs and the use of fertilizers and chemicals is to be able to increase production to meet demands. 

Using genetically modified crops such as corn has really helped farmers to be able to meet demands, and still keep prices fairly cheap. In 1980, farmers were excited to get 80 to 115 bushel corn. Now we are getting on average about 250 to 280 bushel corn. That didn’t come from organic farming and not using chemical, fertilizers and not genetically modifying the crops. 

When we did hogs without using medication and the special feeds it was not good. We lost more pigs in one round than we would have in 3 or 4 rounds. It doesn’t work. A common misconception is the medication stays in the meat. That could not be further from the truth. The medication is injected directly into the blood flow and unless you drink the blood right after or within a week of it being administered, the medication won’t affect you .

Organic farming sounds like a good idea but the reality is it makes it hard for farmers to produce enough to meet demands, causes more deaths in livestock, and will make you pay more for everything. 

Do you think organic farming is sustainable? 

Do you think it would be worth the increase in prices to switch to organic agriculture?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not think organic agriculture is worth increasing because I feel like the prices of organic food is very pricey. To me I do not see any difference in regular agriculture and organic agriculture.

• Organic farming isn't sustainable at all. Farming has come a long way in the past 50 years, and without GMOs and fertilizers, it would be impossible to feed the entire world. As long as these chemicals stay safe to consume, there is no reason why we shouldn't use them.

• I don't think that organic farming can be sustainable. If we started organic farming there wouldn't be enough food for the world. There just isn't enough production. It is a good cover up for animal rights people though. 

• The funny thing is most "organic" meats aren't organic at all. With hogs, they are born through A.I.ing (artifical incemination), which is a way to genetically modify the offspring to be best for prodction, and when they are born, they are vacinated with antibiotics to keep them alive. 

• I dont think organic farming is very sustainable because it would not be easy to keep livestock alive and it would be a lot more expensive to farm organically. It would also be hard for farmers to produce enough food to meet certain expectations.

• I think organic farming is not sustianable but it is a good cover for all the animal rights acitivsts to believe. People that condemn farmers aren't really looking for a better and more efficient way to make meat, they're just trying to blame someone without finding a solution.

• I don't think that organic farming is sustainable. If everybody was to start organic farming there wouldn't be enough food to feed the world. The production just isn't there. I think people would be surprised how little food is produced without GMO's and different chemicals.

• Talking to my uncle about when we first started spraying instead of cultivating beans, he said our yeild for beans increased by about 30 to 40 bushels because we could plant narrower rows therefore increasing prodcution. This was also aided by treated beans. The production isn't there without gmos and chemicals.

• I don't think organic farming can be sustainable. I think farmers will struggle with it too much and it won't produce enough of what is produced now to sustain consumers all around the globe. I also think it would be too expensive to sustain over a long period of time.

• I think yes and I think we shouldn't increase the price of organic foods. I also think farming has come a long way from what it used to be.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker