Banned Books

The American Library Association (ALA) has tracked book challenges, which are attempts to remove or restrict materials, since 1990. In 2020, the ALA recorded 156 reported book challenges in the United States, a significant decrease from the 377 reported challenges in 2019 perhaps due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, challenges jumped to an all-time high in 2021 with 729 challenges, containing a total of 1,597 books. I think there are books out there that kids should not be reading but they do anyway. There are books out there that are adults books and there are kids reading them. There is a lot of  inappropriate material are available in libraries, children or teens can be exposed to books their parents wouldn’t approve of before the parents even find out what their children are reading.  In most years there is about 10% of the reported of ban books were removed from schools and libary's. There is only about 3% to 18% of challange's reported to ban books.

Should parents or other adults be able to ban books from schools or libraries? Why or why not?

Should they bann books?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice Isaac and you replied to all the the comments you could. I would like to see you expand a bit more and add your sources.

• I personally think the whole argument over banning books is just a way for people to just complain and constrict the expansion of "woke" ideologies in America. There are infinitely worse things children are accidentally learning about while they're online at home compared to books they might not ever touch.

• I agree with that because there are a lot of things kids are learning about at home that they are to young to learn about.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker