Australian Soldier Killed in Training Incident

The man was taking part in a "routine" activity at the time. The army suspended all training exercises involving combat brigades. It is the second death of an Australian soldier in training since last week. Trooper stuart Reddan, 21, was killed by a falling tree branch on 4th of may while traveling in an armoured vehicle in 'Queensland. The latest incident happened Wednesday at mount Bundey training camp near Darwin. The department of Defence said "He received immediate first aid at the scene and was transported to the royal Darwin Hospital for treatment. The soldier was subsequently pronounced dead. Family members of the soldier have been notified. The Defence Minister Marise Payne said, "whether  on deployment or while training, the men and women of the Australian Defence Force undertake hazardous activities to ensure our safety and security.  

1. How would you feel if you saw a fellow soldier die while you were doing the same activities right next to him or her? 

2. If you were the parent or sibling of that soldier how would you feel that your kid or brother/sister died in training and not in combat? 

If i was doing the same training drill right next to that soldier i would be scared for him and me because i was just doing the exact thing he was and that could have been me that died. If i was the parent or sibling of that soldier i would be very sad and kinda worried for the other soldiers that he died in a supposed to be safe area and not in combat where it's supposed to be way more dangerous. 

Link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would be very sacred and heart broken to have to witness this dreadful scene. I think it would be very hard to witness that and still have to continue doing your job. If I was part of that soldier's family I would be devastated and kinda upset. The man was there to help get him ready to fight in combat where he could possibly be killed, he shouldn't have died while in training. It's suppose to be a safe environment for them to learn, and in this situation it wasn't.

• Yeah  i agree with you 100%. I would be scared and worried that i could be the getting killed in the activity and i i wouldn't know what to do if i want if i saw this scene. Yah if i was part this soldier's family i would be very sad and upset that he died in training and not in war because camp is supposed to be safe like you said. 

• I would be a little scared to be doing the activity because they were killed doing the same activity. If i was a parent I wouldnt want my kids to be running the exercise and if they do that they would be extra carful

• Yeah i agree with you i would be really scared to the activity too because if someone died doing it i dont know if i would want to do if someone was just killed. If i was the parent i would want my kid to extra careful and be safe but if my kid died i would be very upset and sad the they died. 

• I would be frightened and scared for my own life knowing that something like that cause easily happen to me as well. If I was a parent or sibling of the soldier, I would be very upset because he died not in war, but in training which is supposed to be a safe place to prepare for combat.

• Yeah i would have been scared for my own life too. Knowing that someone died doing the same thing as you. I would have been very sad and upset because he died in training and not in war witch like you said camp is supposed to be a safe area. 

• I would be scared for them and I would probably be a lot more careful. I think it would be terrible knowing that person died of something that had really no long term purpose.

• Yah i would have been scared too to have a fellow soldier die in the same training activities you just got done with it and to think that it could have been you that died. To have him die in training and not in liget war is a bad thing to think. 

• I would be very scared, because it could have been me who was killed during the training exercise. I would be very concerned about the way that the army is training the soldiers, because they should not die while in training. because training is suppose to prepare them for situations.

• yah i totally agree with you on everything you said because i would think that soldiers are not supposed to die in training and i would have been scared too because to think that it could have been me that died. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker