Are Video Games Making Us More Violent

When you talk about video games we usually hear that they are a bad influence. Some will say that video games make us more violent. The games they are talking about are shooter games and action games. Games in those genres are pretty heavy on killing and gore. Although these types of games are pretty violent we will find if these games are making us more violent.

Video games have been linked to making us more violent. Some scientists say violent video games are health threats such as smoking and intelligence defects. Violent games can increase the amount of violent thoughts that you have in a local setting. Violent video games are worse than violent movies or shows because they are interactive and cause you to be the aggressor.  

Some research suggests that violent video makes people less violent, not more. Research suggests that people that play violent video games are less likely to be distracted by violent images. Any research that has said that violent games lead to violence haven’t been studied well over time. Researchers' bias is said to play a big role in this argument because they don’t like video games. 

I think that video games do not cause violence because I really enjoy playing video games. Video games are also a really big part of social media and they are played everyday. 

Do you think video games are making us more violent?

What is your favorite video game and why. 

https://www.apa.org/ 

https://yvpc.sph.umich.edu/ 

https://www.pbs.org/

https://www.theguardian.com/  

https://www.ox.ac.uk/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think video game are ok becasue it a way kid like to send therhe time and have fun with there friends online if they can't hang out oin person. Aslso video games can be bad becasue some kids get to addicted to them.

• I don't think video games are making us more violent because not all games involve shooting or action.  When I play video games I play with my friends and it helps me calm down, not get more violent.  One of my favorite video game is Rocket League.  This game doesn't have violence in it.

• I beleive video games do not make you more violent unless you let it influence you. My favorite video games are Madden, Super mario bros, COD, and 2K.

• Video games are probably one of the reasons hwy we are more violent, but I definetly don't think that they are one of the main reasons. I don't play video games, so I don't really have a favorite one. 

• Gaming has been a big part of my life and has shaped me into the person I am today. I don't think that it so much the game as much as it is the people you play with, as they are the ones who make the games have a lasting impression on you, as well as the game your playing. I really like western and space games, they're very fun, my favorite game right now would probably be Red Dead Redemption 2, it has a beautiful story that makes me cry everytime I play it :) 

• I think certain games can show a lot of violence. However, I don't think the violence of some games can make people more violent. I don't play video games but I know that some are very violent and others are more like simulators and organizing games.

• I believe this topic can go easier direction I'm my opinion it depends on what age the person starts playing these violent video games if the kid is above or the age of 10 I don't believe they could be altered by violent video games to much. But if they are under 10 they could think that these violent games simulate real life and try to do things the characters in their games do.  

• I enjoy playing video games personally. Most of us have probably grown up playing video games all our lives. I do feel like it probably depends on the person and how the people they interact with act too. Although, I will say back in 7th grade I remember a research paper in Language Arts. It was on if kids were more violent from violent video games and one of the websites stated that a lot of people who did violent things were kids who played those games. Here’s the thing, a lot of kids play violent video games and don’t harm anyone in real life too. I’ve played some violent games all my life and I consider myself a peaceful person and people around me could agree.

• I think video games could definitly cause kids to be more violent. I've heard a lot of stories of kids that have done bad/voilent things and a lot of them play violent games like GTA or Halo or any games like that. However, I think there are plenty of kids who play violent games and they aren't voilent. I think if you do play violent games, you need to have self control and you also need to have more interaction with friends and family to outweigh the video game time.

• I personally think that it has a lot to do with how much time you spend playing these video games. You should find a good balance and get along without these video games. If that works, I don't think video gaming makes you more violent. My brother plays a lot of video games and with him I unfortunately learn that his way of dealing with people is different, but I'm not saying it's because of the video games.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker