Are Semester Tests Necessary?

At the end of each semester, students are required to take a big assessment for each class to show what they have learned and whether or not they are proficient. These tests usually have a big impact on the student’s grade. Studies have shown that these tests stress out students AND teachers, especially at the end of the year. But are these tests really necessary and beneficial for the student’s future?

Big impactful tests like these can be very beneficial to students. In an article, Chicago Tribune, it states, “if we didn’t have exams that accounted for large percentages of our grades, students would no longer have the opportunity to drastically change how they do at the end of the semester”. This could support both sides of the argument. Some students, with a lower grade, might be very thankful for these tests so then they have the opportunity to bump their grades back up. However, some students with high grades may not like these tests because they are afraid that it will lower their grade. So should these tests be less impactful on students’ grades?

Semester tests can cause a lot of stress on students. Students have to spend hours upon hours studying for these tests. Not because they don’t know the information, but because there is so much information all packed into one test. The studying part can be stressful, but also just taking the tests. Most of these tests are very long in length or just very time consuming. Not just students, but teachers too. Teachers have to prepare all of the study guides and usually make these long tests. People and students can’t forget that teachers put in a lot of effort into their job into making sure all students have a chance to be successful in life and giving students as many opportunities as possible. And the better you do on these tests, the more opportunities you will have. 

Would it be better if we replaced semester tests with semester projects? Projects can be less stressful and can be worked on over time, not in a small period of time. However, some people, like myself, are not very creative. Many classes do choose to do projects instead, however, most classes just stick to tests, especially the core classes. So this could really go both ways. Or like Bruns' classes, maybe semester tests could be group tests. Making it less stressful, but still a test. Personally, I really like having group tests, not to rely on my classmates, but to be less stressed. A flaw could be a student slacking, but maybe their could be rules applied. Maybe if a student is slacking, they are kicked out of the group tests. There are many other alternative options than just big impactful semester tests.

In my opinion, I think that semester tests are necessary and beneficial for a student’s future. Though it may be very stressful, I think that it is very important for the student. However, I believe that these semester tests shouldn’t impact our grades so much. I usually have a really good grade in all classes, but when I take semester tests, my grade always happens to go down. Usually because it is really hard to get a 100% on these tests.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2010-01-14-1001150311-story.html 

https://seamannews.com/25481/opinion/are-finals-necessary/ 

Are semester tests necessary?

Would it be better to have semester projects?

How much should semester tests impact a students’ grade?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you, I think that semester tests are still important, though not many people like them. But they also should not be should not impact our grade so much. We put so much hard work in year-round but this one test could define our grade of the entire semester. It just doesn't seem right.

• Honestly I would rather just take unit tests at the end of the year instead of taking semester tests for almost 2 hour class periods. Projects would be nice in certain classes. They also account for too much of your grade I think, so if you fail the test you could fail the class. 

• I agree, I think that they could make the percentage of our grade a little less...or a LOT less!

• I think that semester tests are necessary so that teachers can get a good ballpark as to where each student sits academically. I think that it's okay for some classes to do projects, like math and science, so long as it's not a group project so that it's not one "smart" kid who does all the work. 

• Maybe not a group project, but what if each student did their own project?

• I think semester tests are necessary, but they shouldn't be worth so much of your grade. The max percentage of the test is worth twenty percent of your semester grade, which in my opinion is way too much. I think the percentage should be anywhere from five to eight percent. I also think that semester projects should be an option as well. 

• I 100% agree with you. They are super important for our education, but should not be worth so much of our grade.

• I believe that students should have to take some sort of a test, but it shouldn't be worth more than 5% of there grade. For example the math test is worth 20%  of your final grade. In my opion students should have to take a test but if they ever decide not to, I wouldn't be mad. 

• I agree, we put so much work in the entire year, and 1 big test at the end can determine whether we pass or not? It's not right.

• I think they are not very important because it causes stress on the students. Some students aren't the best at taking tests. I think projects or group tests would work out better because all of the students would be more comfortable and relieved. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker