Are People Too Dependent On Computers?

Charles Babbage, the father of computers, invented the first mechanical computer. Later in 1833 he invented a general purpose computer such as the ones today. As computers started to evolve the first ENIAC(Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computer). Which was made nearly a century later by John W. Mauchly and J.Presper Eckert.

Since computers have such high capabilities many people today and throughout history have relied on computers. Such as, talk to people from farther differences, meet people from other countries, and receive information much faster. Because computers make life so much easier, they’ve become very addictive. A study has shown that the number of illiterate people have increased due to the use of computers and technology.  Although computers have so many benefits they are making students unable to obtain information because it is now right at their fingertips.

I think that people are too dependent on computers. I think this because of personal experiences of people not knowing basic math problems and easy historical facts. As well as, people being addicted to their phones so badly that they are on them while driving. It is better to be around people in person rather than behind a screen. This is why I think that people are too dependent on computers.

https://www.toppr.com/guides/computer-aptitude-and-knowledge/basics-of-computers/history-of-computers/#:~:text=Early%20History%20of%20Computer,-Since%20the%20evolution&text=One%20of%20the%20earliest%20and,was%20a%20general%2Dpurpose%20computer

https://gonitsora.com/are-we-too-dependent-on-computers/#:~:text=The%20world%20of%20today%20depends,having%20negative%20effects%20on%20children

Do you think that you are addicted to computers? Why?

Why do you think people become addicted?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not think that I am addicted to computers, but I do think that I am too dependent on them. I believe that people usually become addicted to computers because they make everything easier by doing things for you, and they're far more efficient.

• I do agree that people get addicted to computers because of how much they cna do for you. I also agree that they are more efficient than solving a problem in your head or finding some information. I also think that there are some that need to take breaks from their technology because they rely on it too much.

• I personally think that I am sort of dependent on my computer. Whether it be simple math problems that I don't feel like doing, or playing games I do rely on my computer to do things that I don't feel like doing myself. I think that people become addicted to their laptops because they do stuff for you and provide us with useful information.

• I agree that some can be in between addicted and not. Don't get me wrong computers are super helpful and really reliable. They can also be addicting especially to lazier people. I do agree that people become addicted to computers because of how much you can do with them.

• I personally don't think I am but I know that some people definitely are. More people will go on their computers instead of doing things they used to do like exercise. But now a lot of people will just go on their computer because they have nothing better to do. Some are also addicted. 

• I agree that some people are addicted to their technology. Technology has definetly made people more lazy and these people tend to do less exercise becuase their new priority is their computers. At the rate that computers are going everyone will end up how they are on the movie WallE.

• I agree, I think people are too addicted to computers. While they can be helpful, they have contributed to making humans more and more lazy. Computers do so much that people no longer have to learn how to preform simple tasks. 

• I agree that people tend to be very addicted to computers and technology in general. Computers are very helpful in getting information very quickly and entertainment but have made people way too lazy. Because of computers people no longer need to know things at the top of their head.

• I totally agree that our generation is very dependent on our computers. Every day at school we use it and sometimes every class period. In our school the only paper we get handed is a test; otherwise, everything else is on the internet. With less paper the less we cut down trees but screen time isn't the best for our eye sight. 

• I agree that this generation is way too dependent on computers. Technology tends to be over used in schools. Although it keeps down the amount of paper it is still a lot for students. Having said this, computers are terrible for your eyesight and without breaks could make you legally blind in the future.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker