Are officials ruining college sports?

College sports are becoming more and more dangerous as time passes. Many would blame this on the officials. Many fans are complaining about how inconsistent the calls are in college basketball games. Other fans complain that there's so many unfair plays, biased judgment, and flat-out ridiculous calling that I just can't take it anymore” a reporter claimed from Bleacher Report. There have been many instances where one call the official makes determines the outcome of the game. This is why many fans are starting to take a stand on NCAA officiating. 

Some could argue that they are just doing their job. When a game is clearly biased and one team is getting more calls than the other, fans are going to notice and disagree. This has become more of a problem recently, basketball players are getting injured, in football calls are made that just take up more time and some calls don’t make sense to fans or the team themself. Fans have started to say that they can’t watch games anymore because of how bad the calls are or how physical games have gotten. 

We can’t play sports without officials therefore by taking them out of the picture there would be no sports. But many fans agree that something needs to be done to protect the players, and make the game fair again. 

Do you think officials are ruining college sports?

What can be done to help this?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, some fans can take calls too far sometimes. It would be very difficult if not impossible to play games without officials. 

• I do not think that officials are ruining sports. I think people are overreacting about but I think some of them can be bad. But there is a lot to watch and sports and you can't expect them to get everything right. But I think they could go to like training to get better.

• I do not think that officials are ruining college sports. I think that everyone is willing to complain about anything these days. I do understand where some people think that certian officials are being biased. I think that maybe certian officials need to be fired/not brought back.

• I do not think that officials are ruining college sports. However, I do think that they call the fouls and penalties and often make calls that seem bias. However, if they make a bad call it doesn't really ruin the sports, it just impacts the score or possession. 

• I do not think that officials are ruining college sports. I can see and understand how people can say how they might be "ruining college sports" due to the fact that some of their calls might be questionable. I mean if you were in their position I can see how it could be difficult with all the fans and players either agreeing or disagreeing with the different calls to make. 

• I agree, I can see how people think that but in the end officials are going to make mistakes, and fans are going to disagree. 

• I don't think officials are ruining college sports, but there are infinitely many dumb calls that everyone can agree on. Although they make many unfair calls, I don't think this ruins the sport, but instead I think it just impacts one team's score negatively and makes their fans mad.

• I don't think that officials are ruining college sports, but they definitely have some impact because they're the ones making the calls and therefore deciding which way the game goes. It just comes back to opinion and trust. You have only a few people making a call and you have to trust that they're doing their best and that they're unbiased.

• I think that the offiacls are part of why some of the sports are being ruined. The calls they make are really bad and unfair towards some teams. I think they should be fined or something for some of the calls they make. 

• I don't necessarily think the officials are the reason college sports are being ruined but I think they could definitely have somewhat of an impact on the way the game works and how the players safety is in the picture. I think many officials make sports very dangerous sometimes with certain sports and certain calls. But also officials aren't perfect either, they're just your normal, average person stepping up to help out to make all these sports happena and run smoothly for the most part. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker