Are GMO's good?

Are GMO’s (genetically modified organisms) good or bad for your overall health? GMOs are genetically altered vegetables, fruits or even meat. They do this by inserting new DNA into the cells of the desired organism. Since GMOs are created only to benefit us, the only thing people would need to worry about is if there was a mistake. A mistake could be catastrophic depending on what the mistake turns out to be.

There has never been a recorded “mistake” in the process of making these GMOs. So far, the only thing being genetically modified in food is either to make it chemical resistant, like herbicide resistant corn, or to make the food bigger, like what they did to tomatoes. If there was a mistake in that particular process, I do not believe it would be a health risk.

In the past decade, there have been no health risks observed from these “Superfoods”. They are just as healthy as normal food. In fact, they are better than what they used to be. Corn is 90% genetically modified to resist insects and herbicides. Apples were developed to resist browning after being cut. Salmon’s appetite has been altered so that they will grow in size. Those were just common GMOs, there are a lot more foods that have been genetically modified.

What are your thoughts on GMOs?

Do you believe they are necessary?

https://ag.purdue.edu/gmos/gmos-health.html#:~:text=In%20addition%2C%20over%20the%20two,them%20over%20non%2DGMO%20foods.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• i agree. If it was dangerous people would be less healthy or dead and it wouldn't be sold. This is why I think its weird for people to not accept something that improves our way of life.

• I dont think that GMO's are that good for you. I think that GMO's wont hurt you or kill you if you eat them. I htink that we should try to avoid them because we dont really know what all is in them. I think that GMO's can be a waste of money and we could use that money for other things. 

• I do not think that GMOs are necessarily good for you. However, they are not going to kill you and it can sometimes be helpful. I think that we would all be healthier if there weren't as many GMOs. I think that GMOs help us with the amount of food we are able to produce every year. 

• I don't think that GMO's are necessary. I think that making these are playing the role of God and are not beneficial to us in the long run. I think that we should be focusing on other and more important things with the money and tech we have today.

• I think that sometime the GMOs can be bad like when they put stuff into the food to make it bigger. Thats just a waster of our money. I don't think it's necessary and they should just leave the food how it is so we can stay healthy. 

• I think GMOs are perfectly fine. The people who complain about GMOs are the same ones who believe we will overpopulate the Earth and not have enought food for everyone. GMOs are the solution to increasing yields in the field to feed the world.

• I agree, if they weren't good for us then the companies that make them would fix the problem. There are plenty of credible sources on the internet that claim that GMOs are indeed perfectly fine.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker