Are electric cars really better for the Environment?

Lately lots of people have been talking about getting electric cars, especially with the gas prices as high as they are. Many people beleive that electric cars are a lot better for the environment, but that might not be the case. To start off, the batteries for the cars are made out of lithium. To get lithium out of the earth, it takes up to 2 million gallons of water per metric ton of lithium. This does not work very good considering most of the lithium is in regions of the world where it is the most dry. Once the lithium is filtered out of this water, it is often returned to rivers or lakes where it can contaminate the water.

The production of the elecctric vehicles also has a bigger environmental impact. It takes 1.3 to 2 times the amount of greenhouse gasses to prouduce an electric cars that it does a typical internal combustion car. This is mainly to the increased use of cobalt. The mining of cobalt also produces lots of hazardus byproducts that can toxify the environment. Cobalt mines often contain sulfer, whch creates sulferic acid. A lot of that ends up in rivers and oceans which is very bad for the water. 

The cars may not requre gas, but you have to charge them. Most of the power grid arount our country, especially around the midwest, are powered by fossil fuels. So every time you charge your car you are burning fossil fuels. Also, if your car dies along the side of the road, you will have to get it charged somehow. This will most likely take place by a gas or diesel vehicle pulling a gas or diesel generator. So you really arent helping the environment at all.

Do you think that electric vehicles are worse for the environment?

Would you like to own an electric vhehicle?

https://magazine.northeast.aaa.com/daily/life/cars-trucks/electric-vehicles/are-electric-car-batteries-bad-for-the-environment/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I personally think that elecrtic cars do more damage to our environment than regular gas cars do, but with the rising gas prices I think more companies are going to start producing more electirc cars. I think they could be convenient at times, but it's not worth the polluting.

• In my opinion electric cars are a bit more harmful to the environment then regular cars because electric cars take up more coal. But on the other hand, I feel like even though they do contaminate and pollute the air more, maybe they're more convenient during these times. I think I would not own a electric vehicle until further technology for less contamination.

• I think electric cars are worse than gas or diesel cars. It takes more energy to power the cars. And when the batterys go bad what are we supposed to do with them. You can't just recycle them it's not that easy. And the chemicals in the batterys are worse than what we pollute with our cars. 

• I think that electric cars are worse for the envirment. It takes more coal and energy to power the cars than we pollute with our cars. What are we going to do with the batterys when they do not work. We can't recycle them super easy. They will sit and collect dust and is they get opened the chemicals in them will do more harm than good. I would not want to own a electric car they are unreliable. 

• hIt is possible to recycle the batteries, but it is a long, difficult, expensive process. So to save the hassle and money, most people just haul the batteries to the landfill where they sit until they break open, then the contents of the battery contaminate the ground. That is worse for the environment than gas is.

• I think that electric cars are better for the environment. Even though they might still contaminate a lot, I feel that is way less than a car that uses gas. I would like to own an electric car but I think most of them are really expensive and it is not that easy to purchase one.

• In my opinion i dont think that they are better cars because where i used to live in california we would have random blackouts where our power would go out because we dont have enough electricity to keep everyones power on. I would hate to own a electic vehicle because i live on a farm and it would not the that practical. If your working you can fill your truck up with deisel in the middle of a feild and you cant charge a electric vehicle in the middle of a feild.

• That is another thing that people don't think about. Our power grid can't handle a lot of people having electric vehicles. And I would agree, especially living on a farm it would be really inconvinient to have to bring your vehicles home every night and charge them.

• I don't think electric cars are as great as some people say. Charging electric cars is a lot more difficult than filling up gas cars. They are also very expensive. I don't think electric are that much better than gas cars.

• I don't think that electric cars are the savior or the end-all-be-all for the environment in the future. I don't think that in all they'll be any better for the environment than our everyday cars that emit greenhouse gases. Plus for a long time they'll be extremely expensive and almost unattainable. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker