Are Electric Cars Better Than Gas Cars?

Electric cars are the future, that’s what everyone wants them to be. Everyone thinks electric cars are good for the environment and such a good idea. But there are downfalls with these cars. 

First, they all require a battery to start.  Each one of those batteries needs lithium.  Where does lithium come from? They have to mine it up, and there is only 1 lithium mining field in the United States. So that can’t be enough. How else do they get it? They have to import it from other countries like Australia. So they have to mine it in Australia and then transport it more than likely using a boat that is using diesel fuel. Digging up lithium is terrible for the environment. It destroys the soil structure. This can lead to hurting our water table, which in the end reduces our water source and then leads to a risk of extinction. So now that they got the lithium they will make the batteries and then make the electric cars. 

Another downfall to electric cars is that the batteries do not last.  They say the batteries can last up to 100,000 miles to 300,000, so then when you have to get a new battery you have to dispose of the old one.  This is bad because you are putting it back into the earth. Then you have to get a new one, which costs more money.

The third reason that electric cars are not good is that you have to charge the battery.  This is an inconvenience.  Every 300 miles these batteries must be charged, which uses energy that uses fossil fuels. 

On the other hand, gas cars have several pros. Electricity is more expensive than gasoline, so gas-powered is better in the long run.  They are cheaper to make, which makes them more affordable for the consumer.  

They are pros and cons to both types of cars.  It really comes down to people’s preference.  Both options are available to help with transportation in today’s society.

In my opinion, I would rather have a gas car than an electric car any day. You can easily find a gas station more easily than a charging station. Having the sound of a real gas car or a diesel car or truck is a great.

Would you rather have a gas or electric car?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• There are a lot of pros to electric cars, but I think gas cars are better. Especially in the small town we live in, there would be no where to charge your car when you need to. Everyone says that they are so much better than gas cars, but them being made is just as bad as gas cars.

• Most people don't acknowledge the fact that you still have to burn coal and other resources to make electrcity. Sure, there is solar and wind energy, but that only makes up 10% of U.S electricity. I would prefer a gas vehicle over electric. Electric vehicles have not proven to be able to haul trailers for long distances. They have also not proven to be good over a long period of time, since they have only been in large scale production for a couple years. However, they may be able to do these things in the future.

• I agree with you it still does burn  coal and other resources to charge the car to and even putting up wind energy takes fuel to transport.

• I think gas cars are better then electric cars becuase electric cars you have to charge them and it takes time to charge them. Gas cars are better because electric cars are more expsentive.

• I disagree, it doesn't really take that long to charge an electric car the car that my family has actually charges fast overnight.

• I think electric cars and gas car both have pros and cons. In the future, most cars will likely be electric. I wouldn't mind having either because electric cars seem cool and a fun concept, but they take awhile to fully charge. On the other hand, gas cars can travel longer without gas but they also hard the enviornment.

• I think they both do some bad things to the environmemt but i get what people and countrys are trying to do.  But if we look at what gas and electric cars do, gas cars are able to drive farther and as of right now there aren't many charging stations for electric cars so you could get stranded if you are driving far.

• I think electric cars are the future basically, but I also enjoy what gas cars do. The state of California is trying to get rid of all gas powered cars by 2030. But if you look at emmissions in comparison to electric cars, gas powered cars make up a very small percentage. So I think banning all gas powered cars is a bad thing, but more people are going to buy electric powered vechiles in the future. 

• I think that electric car is worse for the environment and could possibly cause more problems later in life. I prefer gas cars because its easier to fill the gas tank than to have to plan out all of the charging things. I htink that if you were to go on vacation or someething you would rather have a gas car so the planning to stop for an hour or so to charge the electric car would be easier. 

• I think that electric cars would be practical for the environment, but not for most people. Electric cars tend to be more expensive, and, as you said, charging stations are harder to come across, so I don't think that very many people will convert to elecrtic. Personally, I would rather have a gas car because we don't live in a highly populated area, so electric cars would be even worse to have around here because not many people have them.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker