Are e- cigarettes less harmful than smoking?

E- ciggerettes also known as JUULS use a battery to heat up a special liquid into an aerosol that users inhale. The juice that fills up the pod usually contains nicotine which comes from many chemicals. These claim to have no nicotine in them, but yet there are many traces to their being nicotine in them. These we first introduced in 2003 by Chinese pharmacist Hon Lik. In 2004 with the help of chinese inverstors this product was introduced to the Chinese market. This then became apart of the United States market in the mid 2000'S and by 2010 additional brands like this appered in the market as well.

The popularity has risen since 2007 as they are advertised through ads on TV's, computers, phones and other places.  More often celebrities are often in the ads which has contributed to a large increase in sales by both adults and teens. In 2013 over 13.1 million teens/kids knew about e- ciggerettes. These trends have lead to many concerns by many people such as the government, teachers, and parents. They are concerned about teens getting addicted to nicotine and how they can help prevent this from happening. Many places like schools and other school sponsered places dont allow smoking or vaping on the property of all ages. 

They are trying to make it harder for teens to be able to get e- ciggerettes by setting the age limit to 21 and ID everyone who wants to buy one. There are many place that don't allow smoking on the propery like schools. The government also encourages parents to talk to their teens about vaping and the health concerns it has. Some parents don't smoke or vape as an example for their kids and ensure their school district has a tobacco free policy. 

Many of these procausions are making it harder for teens to be able to vape. I believe even though it didn't directly say they are more harmful they are. Nothing is safe about putting chemicals in your lungs. I think many kids think vaping is bad  but get peer preasured to vape. I think kids should stick up for what they believe in and not do dumb things because eventually those things will have negitive affects. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK538684/#:~:text=The%20product%20gained%20some%20attention,2013)

https://www.lung.org/quit-smoking/e-cigarettes-vaping/whats-in-an-e-cigarette

https://e-cigarettes.surgeongeneral.gov/takeaction.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and summary Kelsie! The issue is you didn't reply to amy student comments which is worth 30 points.

• In my personal opinion I think that e-cigarettes can be a lot more harmful than actual cigarettes. Not only because they are a lot more addicting, but the difference in nicotine ratio between e-cigarettes and normal cigarettes is crazy. E-cigarettes are loaded with more nicotine than regular cigerattes.

• I believe that cigarettes are far more harmful than vapes and there is evidence to support this. One reason for this is the diseases and illnesses cause by smoking. The most obvious illness is lung cancer which is more commonly causes by cigarettes than vapes.

• I believe that e-cigarettes can be worse but cigarettes also cause COPD. Vaping can cause cancer, but smoking is worse because it also causes cancer, as well as COPD. Vaping has a lot more flavors than cigarettes, but vaping is harmful as well as cigarettes.

• I think that e-cigaretts are worse then smoking because one pod of nicotine is equal to a whole box of cigaretts. There are also so many options to chose from and its very harmful and bad for your body. You also don't know all of the long term effects with this.

• I think e-cigarettes are more harmful than smoking because there is more nicotine in vapes than in cigarettes and there are so many different types and flavors of vapers people get more addicted to them faster. 

• E-cigarettes are worse than regular smoking, I remember that I did a research paper about the topic, and the thing that impressed me the most was that a Juul or e-cigg contains more nicotine than a regular pack of cigarettes which is something that people don't realize because of all the chemicals put into the flavoring of these and it is concerning because many younger people do not know or do not care about the dangers that nicotine can cause to the body. 

• I think that e-ciggerattes is worse then smoking because nobody knows the long term effects to it because it has jsut recently started.  With all the different types of vapes you can get i think it makes it more popular for people to use because they have more options.

• I think that they have the same health risks, but are more harmfull because they can be more addicting that cigarettets. All the different flavors are what really effects people because they want to try all the ones that sound good, but there are so many flavors.

• I think that e-cigarettes are arguably worse than regular cigarettes because it is marketed to a younger age demographic full of impressionable kids who are more likely to get peer pressured and less likely to be able to quit. Therefore giving those companies more money to advertise more.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker